𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕿𝖜𝖔

THE POMPOUS PRINCEKnown also as

THE POMPOUS PRINCE
Known also as...
{THE DRAGON'S CALL :: Part Two}

➶︎➶︎➶︎

"HEY! Stop, you bloody bastard
Street Rat- Guards! Thief!"

The fat and balding baker nearly killed me with just his bellowing.

I swear he'd been occupied with the woman at the counter. Obviously he was smarter than I had given him credit for.

That didn't matter now. I could berate myself later if I wanted- if I got away with my skin.

Darting down the nearest alleyway, I hoped the baker would give up the trouble of recovering one measly loaf of bread.

Yet, as I dared a glance over my shoulder, my hopes were dashed as I found the lumbering man round the corner, fast on my heels with a long walking stick held threateningly over his head.

Didn't he know that he was only giving a better opportunity for other kids to steal from him with his shop unintended?

With newfound adrenaline coursing through my veins, I pushed myself further than I ever had. Nauseous punched my chest like a kick to the gut.

As I broke away from the alley, my feet slipped across the frozen dirt road. I choked as the air left my lungs. By an act of mercy, my left foot found just enough traction to keep my footing.

Not wanting to risk a glance behind me, I ran forward as I scanned my surroundings.

Coming from my right, a large group of women with their daughters were walking toward the Winter Solstice festival. Without hesitation, I made for the back of their group and weaseled my way into their midst, throwing up my hood with the rest of them. I prayed that my dirty and torn cloak didn't make me stand out like a lantern in the middle of the night.

I forced down several slow breaths as fought to bring back color to my pale face. I didn't need any concerned mothers asking after my well-being.

I risked a glance toward the alleyway in time to see the baker skid to a halt at the mouth. Well, he tried too anyways. Unlike me, he did not find his footing. Instead, he slipped and landed on his back with a painful thud.

Thank you, Lord, for small mercies.

I walked with the group woman a bit further as they're indifferent company felt safer than chancing a run-in a city guard.