Chapter 3

A few hours later all nine of us cram ourselves around the dinner table. It's tight, but we fit. Cherry and Jeff share the end opposite of Pa while Adam, Joe, an' I sit across from the three ladies. I'm awful glad I brought Leo and her youngins home today, the look on Pa's face said all I needed to know. They weren't even in the house for an hour before Pa was sittin' with little Cherry in his lap, helpin' her with her rag dolly. Even though he's a tough man, he's got a soft spot for babies an' little ones. Cuz of that soft spot, all three of us boys know how excited he is about the baby Hannah's gonna have.

"Leo, those two babies of yours sure have brighten up this house! I haven't seen Ben look so happy since before Little Joe and Hannah moved out." Misty scoops mashed taters onto Cherry's plate an' then hands the plate across to Adam. Takin' it with a smile, he scoops some onto Jeff's plate. Leo watches from where she sits between Misty an' Hannah, clearly knowin' that they sat down real quick like so to only leave the middle chair open for her. They both saw how tuckered out she was an' immediately pitched in to help.

"I ain't a baby! I'm five years old." Jeff shoves a forkful of taters into his mouth.

"Jeffry! You know that's not how you talk to people. Apologize this instant, young man."

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Cartwright."

"Apology accepted, and just call me Misty." She winks at him as a big grin spreads over his face. "Anyway, it's my fault. I should have known better, a five year old isn't a baby."

"Me no 'aby!"

"Oh, you aren't? Just how old are you, young lady?" Adam's grin looks like it's going to split his face in two.

"Me two!"

"Well then, you are a big girl."

" 'Ep!" She gives him a little nod an' smile.

"Cherry's birthday is soon." Jeff says, his mouth full of food.

"When is the big day?" Joe asks Leo from where he sits on my right.

"In two weeks on the fourteenth."

"We'll have to have a party then!" Hannah exclaims.

"Oh, that's completely unnecessary!"

"No, it's not! I've been searching for a good excuse to throw a party and you just gave me something better than an excuse. Anyways, it'll be the best way for you to meet everyone."

"If it's alright with Ben, I'll gladly let you throw Cherry a birthday party." Pa nods his approval. "She's never had a birthday party before so it'll be extra special for her, but I insist on helping. I don't want you all to have to do everything."

"Hannah." She looks up at Joe, his voice serious soundin'. "Don't over exert yourself, you hear?"

Sittin' up straight, her lips twitchin' like she's tryin' not to grin, she puts her hand on her forehead in a salute. She quickly lowers it, "Yes, sir."

Everyone but Joe starts laughin'. Lookin' at us, the serious look on his face slowly melts into that grin of his. His little boy laugh joins in with ours after a second. Cherry looks at all of us, her little eyebrows all scrunched up, "Why 'augh, 'ike ha ha?"

Her question just makes us laugh even harder. Hannah's laughin' so hard it looks like she ain't even breathin'. Both Misty an' Leo are wipin' tears off their cheeks, tryin' to catch their breath. Once he's stopped laughin' too, Pa signals to Hop Sing, who's got a big grin on his face.

"Hop Sing, will you make us some fresh coffee?" Hop Sing heads back to the kitchen. We all settle down as Pa turns towards us. He'll probably have us all go sit in the livin' room since we're done eatin'. "Shall we go sit down in the living room?"