Chapter 16

As soon as I set Jeff on the ground he takes off runnin' for the front door. Throwin' it open, he continues to run until he's in his ma's arms. I watch from the doorway as she scoops him up, spinnin' around a few times the both of 'em laugin' an' cryin'. Settin' him back down, she hurries him into Cherry's room.

Pa slips outta the room to give them privacy as I hang up my hat an' unstrap my gunbelt. Sighin' happily, he walks over to me, pattin' me on the back. "I know it's still early in the day but I feel like celebrating. Would you care to have a brandy with me?"

"Sure, Pa." Walkin' over to his study, he pours us each a small glass. He hands me one of them an' I take a sip of it. "Pa, I invited Adam an' Misty over for supper tonight. An' I told him to invite Joe an' Hannah as well when he goes over there to tell 'em 'bout Cherry later. I hope that's alright with you."

"Of course it is!" Pa sits down his empty glass. "Hop Sing needs to be informed so he can make enough food for that many people."

Walkin' across the room towards the kitchen, I stop an' peek in Cherry's room as Pa continues on to the kitchen. Jeff's sittin' on the bed next to Leo, his head leanin' on her chest with her arm wrapped his shoulders. Since I cain't see Cherry, I lean into the room a little, peerin' around those two on the bed. Little Cherry's asleep again.

I hate to interrupt the tender moment but I need to talk to Leo while I have the chance to. Knockin' on the doorframe, I watch as Leo's head slowly turns in my direction. Seein' who it is, she gives me a small smile.

"Leo, can I talk to you for a moment?"

"Of course, Hoss. What do you want?"

"Well, I was hopin' we could talk private like." Her shoulders stiffen a little bit as she scoots Jeff off the bed an' stands up. "I was also hopin' that you'd go on a little walk with me."

"Oh, of course I will." Her voice sounds reluctant but given' Jeff a pat on the back of his pants she shoos him outta the room, "Jeff, why don't you go unpack your things and put them away in your room."

"Sure thing, Ma." He flys outta the room an' up the stairs.

Leo quietly follows me outside an' we walk over to the table on the porch, where I pull out a chair for her. Sittin' down myself, I watch as she tries to look anywhere but at me. I have a feelin' this ain't gonna be easy like I thought it would be.

"Leo."

"Yes, Hoss?"

"Will you at least look at me?" Her eyes slowly move back to my face from where they were lookin' over at the corral by the barn. "That's better."

"What was it you wanted to talk to me about?" Her eyes travel down to her hands which are fiddlin' with a handkerchief that she'd pulled outta her sleeve.

"Last night." She stiffens as her hands stop movin' for a second. "I hope I didn't offend you."

"No, no you didn't." Her words sound stilted an' almost rough. Watchin' her, I see tears begin to roll down her cheeks. A guilty, sinkin' feelin' fills my belly. Reachin' out, I lay my hand on top of hers, I feel her stiffen even more.

"Leo, what's wrong?"

"Hoss, I just can't."

"Cain't do what?"

"Love again." She pulls her hand out from under mine. She looks me in the face an' I can tell that whatever she says next ain't gonna sit too well. But then at the same time, there's somethin' in her face that makes me think that what she's 'bout to say is just a bluff an' that she actually feels the opposite. "I'm sorry, Hoss, but I don't love you and that kiss last night should've never happened. I'm very thankful for all you and your family have done for me, but I only care for you like a friend."

Watchin' her run back into the house, I know that I've never loved a woman like I love her. I also know that despite what she just said, she does love me. I could see it in her eyes just now an' I felt it in her kiss last night.