Season 18 - Mer is stuck in Minnesota for Thanksgiving

Meredith sighed as she opened her hotel room. Delayed. Her flight back to Seattle was delayed. She wasn't going to be able to spend her Thanksgiving with her family.

She collapsed onto the couch and FaceTimed Derek. "Hey! Are you at the airport?" Derek asked as his cheery voice rang through the speakers.

"My flight got delayed. I'm not gonna make it home." Meredith said with a frown. "The weathers bad up there?" He asked, disappointment leaking into the tone of his voice.

"Bad. Snowing hard. This is so Ellis Grey of me, Derek." Meredith said, rubbing her forehead. "It's okay, Mer. You tried. It's not your fault the weather sucks." Derek soothed.

"You don't get it, though. My mom missed almost every thanksgiving. I'm her. I'm turning into her." She replied.

"No you're not. You want to be home. Ellis didn't want to be home. Don't call yourself Ellis." Derek said.

"Hi mom!" Zola grinned as she came into the screen. "I'm so sorry, Zo." Meredith said solemnly. "It's okay. You tried. I know you want to be here." Zola responded.

"I really do. Has daddy started the Turkey?" Meredith asked. "Yeah. It smells so good!" Zola exclaimed.

"I bet it does. Save me some, okay?"

"I will. Love you!" Zola replied as she ran off. "See? No one blames you or is mad at you." Derek said. "I know I just...I want to get with you guys." She sighed.

"You will be tomorrow." He replied. "I'm gonna probably just do some more work. Call me later, okay?" Merefith asked.

"Okay. I love you." Derek answered. "I love you too." She sighed as she ended the phone call. Merefith never wanted to act like her mother. She never wanted to be like her and leave her kids and husband on thanksgiving. It wasn't her fault and she knew that, but she wanted to be home so badly.

••••

Meredith managed to get out the next flight out at around 5pm. From minnesota to seattle, the flight was about 3 hours, so she got home around 9:30 with the traffic and all.

She opened the door to the house and walked in. "Hey." Derek grinned as he came into the foyer. "Hey." She replied with a smile, dropping her bags and walking into his arms.

"We missed you today." Derek murmured as he held her close to his chest. "I missed you guys too. I'm sorry I couldn't be here." She replied, her face pressed against his chest.

"It's not your fault. Stop feeling bad about it." Derek replied, pulling away slightly to look into her teary eyes. "What's wrong?" He asked with a frown, tilting his head slightly.

"I just think of all the Thanksgivings I had where it was just me and a bottle of tequila. I don't want my kids to feel like I don't care about them. I don't want you to feel like that." Meredith admitted.

"Meredith, no one feels like that, I promise. The kids know you tried your best to get here but the weather sucked. And I know rhat too. Don't compare yourself to your mother. You're nothing like her." Derek said softly, wiping away a tear.

"I just feel like it sometimes." She whispered. "You aren't anything like her." He replied, kissing her forehead and cradling her head against his chest.

After Meredith calmed down, Derek led her into the kitchen. "We have some leftover turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce. Why don't we have a late thanksgiving?" Derek suggested with a smile as he gestured to the table of food he set up.

Meredith smiled. "I love you." She breathed as she sat down next to him at the table. "Happy thanksgiving." He said with a McDreamy grin.

"Happy Thanksgiving." She echoed.

Thanksgiving may not have gone exactly how she wanted it to, but she was home, eating a very late Thanksgiving dinner with her husband. And that was good.

Hey guys!! I know this is short but this is just a cute little one shot I wanted to post. Hope you guys enjoyed!!