The Tragic Death of Phil Hartman

Philip Edward Hartman (néHartmann; September 24, 1948 – May 28, 1998) was aCanadian-American actor, comedian, screenwriter, and graphicdesigner. After graduating from California State University,Northridge with a degree in graphic arts, he designed album coversfor bands including Poco and America. In 1975, Hartman joined thecomedy group The Groundlings, where he helped Paul Reubens develophis character, Pee-wee Herman. Hartman co-wrote the film Pee-wee'sBig Adventure and made recurring appearances as Captain Carl onReubens's show Pee-wee's Playhouse.

In 1986, Hartman joined the NBC sketchcomedy show Saturday Night Live (SNL) as a cast member, and stayedfor eight seasons until 1994. Nicknamed "Glue" forhis ability to hold the show together and help other cast members, hewon a Primetime Emmy Award for his SNL work in 1989. In 1995, helater starred as Bill McNeal in the sitcom NewsRadio after decliningto return to SNL. He also voiced various characters on The Simpsons,and had minor roles in the films Houseguest, Sgt. Bilko, Jingle Allthe Way, and Small Soldiers.

After two divorces, Hartman marriedBrynn Omdahl in 1987, with whom he had two children. Their marriagewas troubled due to Brynn's drug use and domestic violence againstPhil, who was frequently absent from home. In 1998, while Hartman wassleeping in his bed, his wife shot and killed him, and latercommitted suicide. In the weeks following his murder, Hartman wascelebrated in a wave of tributes. Dan Snierson of EntertainmentWeekly opined that he was "the last person you'd expect toread about in lurid headlines in your morning paper ... a decidedlyregular guy, beloved by everyone he worked with". He wasposthumously inducted into the Canada and Hollywood Walks of Fame in2012 and 2014, respectively.

Early life

Hartman was born Philip Edward Hartmann(later dropping one "n") on September 24, 1948, inBrantford, Ontario. He was the fourth of eight children of DorisMarguerite (née Wardell; July 17, 1919 – April 15, 2001) andRupert Loebig Hartmann (November 8, 1914 – April 30, 1998), asalesman specializing in building materials. His parents wereCatholic and raised their children in that faith. As a child, Hartmanfound affection hard to earn: "I suppose I didn't get what Iwanted out of my family life, so I started seeking love and attentionelsewhere."

Hartman was 10 years old when hisfamily moved to the United States. The family first lived inLewiston, Maine, then Meriden, Connecticut, and then the West Coast.There, he attended Westchester High School and frequently acted asthe class clown. After graduating, he studied art at Santa MonicaCity College, dropping out in 1969 to become a roadie with a rockband. He returned to school in 1972, this time studying graphic artsat California State University, Northridge. He developed and operatedhis own graphic art business, creating more than 40 album covers forbands including Poco and America, as well as advertising and the logofor Crosby, Stills & Nash. In the late 1970s, Hartman made hisfirst television appearance on an episode of The Dating Game, wherehe won.

Career

Early career (1975–1985)

Working alone as a graphic artist,Hartman frequently amused himself with "flights of voicefantasies". In 1975, seeking a more social outlet for histalents, he began to attend evening comedy classes run by theCalifornia-based improvisational comedy group The Groundlings. Whilewatching one of the troupe's performances, he impulsively decided toclimb on stage and join the cast. His first onscreen appearance wasin 1978's Stunt Rock, an Australian film directed in Los Angeles byBrian Trenchard-Smith. After several years of training, paying hisway by redesigning the group's logo and merchandise, Hartman formallyjoined the cast of The Groundlings and by 1979 had become one of theshow's stars.