Chapter 9

I'm freaking back bitches and bros and non-binary hoes!!! I know y'all missed me so don't even deny it. Anyway It's currently one in the morning so I'm completely winging this here. We'll see how this goes.

  I awoke to the loud sound of rushing water, startling me. I jerked up from my position, bringing my hands to my chest. I look to see Sophie awake as well. Tying her grandma hair up in some what of a ponytail.

  "Luna," Calcifer inquired, "are you feeling any better?" It took me a moment to process what he had said. I simply rub my eyes, nod my head, and give him a warm smile. I was too tired for words.

  Apparently Sophie, however, was. "Is Howl back?" she questioned, pulling back the curtain to her bed.

  Calcifer's mood immediately dropped. "Yes, and he's wasting all my hot water again," he grumbled while practically inhaling a piece of wood. I rolled my eyes and laid my head back down on the pillow. I didn't know where it came from but I didn't care right now, overthinking's exhausting anyway.

  My peaceful sleep was interruped when Sophie lightly shook my shoulder, telling me that her and Markl were going to go to the market. I groaned in reply, nuzzling my face into the pillow. Where ever it came from, it smelled really good.

  After a few minutes and a lot of noisy footsteps, the door closed, indicating Sophie and Markl had left. I let the sleep overtake me until everything was just black.

Timeskip, brought to you by Howl as a ginger

  I open one eye as the door opens and closes once again. Soph and Markl were back. Sophie leaned on the wall, catching her breath.

  "Sophie? Are you okay?" Markl asked, panic evident in his voice.

  Sophie huffed her way up the steps as I sat up, stretching. "I just need a glass of water," she insisted, moving to sit on the chair infront of the fireplace.

  "I'll get it!" Markl replied, running over to the sink.

  "Soph, is everything okay?" I asked, still a little groggy.

  Before she could answer, we heard a booming wail, making us jump. Footsteps pounded the floor above, getting closer by the second. The wails continued all the way down the stairs.

  Suddenly, a man with bright orange hair emerged from the second floor, wearing nothing but a towl. Finally letting go of his face, I recognized the man as Howl. "Sophie! Y-you sabatoged me!" he cried, gripping his hair. He ran down right infront of her, holding his hair, "Look! Look what you've done to my hair! Looooook!" he yelped. I gasped, he seems real mad about this...

  Sophie took a step back, "What a pretty color!" she said, trying to lighten the mood.

  "It's hideous!" he exclaimed," you completely ruined my magic potions in the bathroom!" Ohhhhhh shit...I hadn't seem the bathroom, but according to Sophie, it was disgusting.

  We're probably getting kicked out, then our curses will be stuck with us forever. I should've stopped her, I should've known. If Sophie can't break her curse...and it's all my fault. Tears formed in my eyes as I realized that because I wasn't thinking properly, Sophie got carried away and I should've been there to stop her. Now because of my mistake, she might've just lost her only chance at becoming normal again...

  Sophie continued to try and reassure him, "I just organized things, Howl, nothing's ruined," she insisted. She noticed my glossy eyes as I watched the exchange. I felt pathetic. I should've stopped her...or at least monitered her...I'm so fucking sorry Sophie...

  "Wrong! Wrong!" Howl screamed, Sophie having his undivided attention, "I specifically ordered you not to get carried away!" Tears were now forming in Howl's eyes too. He started to calm down, sulking down in the chair. I had blinked back my tears now, I had to fix this, there has to be a way. "Now I'm repulsive...I can't live like this..." he moaned, putting his head in his hands.

  I finally realized...he was just like Sophie. Howl wasn't naturally blonde...but he made himself that way in order to achieve some standard of "beauty". He was just insecure.

  "C'mon, it's not that bad," Sophie persued, still trying to get him to listen. His hair slowly morphed into a raven color.

  That's when I decided to speak up. With a gentle voice, I smiled, "You should really look at it now, it's a lovely color. It really bring out your eyes,"

  His sorrow seemed to stop for a moment, registering what I'd just said. Then it returned. "I give up," he whispered, "I see no point in living if I can't be beautiful..."

  My eyes widen, he wasn't serious...was he?

  Suddenly, the house started to shake. Shadows morphed into unknown figures as a eerie sound filled the room. "Howl, cut it out. Howl. No stop it. Howl," Calcifer warned, the shadows getting closer and closer to him.

  "Markl! What's happening?" I yelled over the loud noise.

  "He's calling the spirits of darkness, I saw him do this once before when a girl dumped him," he replied.

  My face was a mixured of "are you kidding me?" and "someone dumped Howl?". I see now, in the gist of it, he's being petty. Such a drama queen.

  Sophie walked over to him, laying her hand on his bare shoulder, "Now Howl, you're alright. We'll just dye your hair back again, ok?" She removed her hand, which was now covered in green slime. The goop covered his body as he continued this ritual thing.

  Taking a few steps back, Sophie's face became one of both anger and despair, "Fine! So you think you've got it bad? I've never once been beautiful in my entire life!" she cried, turning around and racing out the door.

  "Sophie!" I called, debating on whether to follow her, or stay with Howl. I stood, conflicted, for a few moments. I looked at Markl, "Make sure Howl doesn't...well...you know?" He nodded in understanding as I ran out the door.

  It was pouring rain, Sophie stood infront of the lake. Turnip head towered beside her, holding an umbrella. I smiled a bit, Turnip head was always considerate about her, maybe it was the cunningness of her old age. I really didn't want to break up the moment, but I had no choice.

  "Sophie! Come back inside! We need you're help with Howl!" I yelled over the pitter patter of rain.

  We were back inside now, Calcifer practically begging Howl to stop. He was almost drowning from the slime.

  Sophie had calmed down, she smiled at the site, "Such drama," she chuckled.

  "Is he dead?" Markl panicked.

  I smiled, "No Markl, he's just being a little dramatic, that's all." I put my hand on his back, "Now c'mon, give me a hand."

  We walked over to him and pushed the chair to the staircase. I put his arm over my shoulder as I carried him up the stairs. "Get the hot water running," I told Markl. He nodded and raced up the stairs. Then I heard a plop behind me. I turned to see Howl's towl, aka the only piece of clothing he was wearing, among the slime on the floor.

  My eyes widen as I shot my eyes upward. They stayed glued to the ceiling until Markl shut the door of the bathroom. Sophie has already started mopping the slime up, grumbling about how she'd just cleaned it.

  I took a break because my boyfriend started talking to me....I am speechless....I've never met such a perfect man before ISTG I LOVE HIM!