Chp 17 - Painted Scenery

Hope you enjoy!

This is a lil shorter chapter :)

After I discovered, well I'm pretty sure I did, that Ascian is the one sending notes - I decided to send one to him

Even if I was wrong it wouldn't hurt anyone... But that would make me more scared.

He is the biggest suspect for it now though, and I'll keep him on the top of my list until I get a confirmation on if he is or isn't the note sender.

I sent my own note to him a few days ago. I'm still waiting for a note back.

I'm off work till we have the meeting with the Royals. Every Zelos and Valda is joining for protection and witness on agreements and other stuff.

A knock comes on my door and I yell out 'come in' to whoever is there.

A guard opens the door and gets inside, trying to find me with her gaze.

"You've gotten a note. There has also been more information from Belrynna and it doesn't sound great," She bows at me and hands me the small note.

Finally I've gotten some type of answer. Hopefully it is the one I want.

"Thank you. Has something happened?"

"It has been informed that a sickness has started to develop in the townhouses that are in use... Hiraeth is fearing it has spread to their kingdom. All of the kingdoms have been informed and everyone is keeping to themselves for a few days to try to keep it from spreading," My eyebrows scrunch together.

"That's bad news... How is it affecting people?"

Hopefully they aren't bad symptoms.

"It differs from person to person, for now it isn't as strong on the ones that have caught it. But some can become more ill. It's mostly a stronger cold, but some can get muscle pains with it." She scrunches her nose, not liking the symptoms.

"Has anyone been traveling to other places?"

She nods her head.

"A lot of people have sailed over seas to travel and to get equipment."

We're a very secluded place, but sometimes sicknesses get here too. Thankfully most of the ones we've gotten have gone away quickly. We're usually very late to new sicknesses because of our strict traveling rules.

"Then they could have caught it from there... We'll survive this, even if it can be hard. Thank you for informing me. You're free to go." I try to smile at her, too focused on the note in my hand even when there's talk of a possibly bad sickness.

So close but so far from the answer.

She bows again and leaves my room.

As an excited child, I immediately opened the note. Forgetting everything I just briefly talked about with the girl.