XVI. With a Little Help from My Friends

J A N U A R Y  1 9 7 7

.・。.・゜✭・.・✧・゜・。.

"SMILE!"

JAMES, CLARA, AND SIRIUS HAD just bid their farewells to Fleamont and Euphemia when a chipper blonde with wild curly hair seemed to appear out of nowhere. Marlene's sudden arrival occurred in the middle of Sirius and Clara bickering, as usual, over something that didn't really matter.

James had become quite talented at ignoring his sister and best friend's squabbles, so he was keenly aware of Marlene's intentions. The other two, however, were much too focused on each other to take a second to become aware of their surroundings. Before Clara could even fully register that Marlene was there, let alone what the blonde was holding in her hands, she felt her brother's arm wrap tightly around her shoulder.

James pulled both Sirius and Clara into the frame with a wide grin on his face as a sudden flash of light went off before them.

When Marlene pulled the Polaroid picture from the camera, a snort escaped from her as she watched her best friend go from angry, to confused, to shocked all in a matter of seconds. The scene replayed over and over and it seemed to be getting funnier each time based on her endless giggles. That reaction was enough to make Clara break away from James' grasp to peer over her shoulder and peek at the unflattering photo over herself.

Clara was keen to ask Marlene if she could keep the photo

Clara was keen to ask Marlene if she could keep the photo. Little did the blonde know that Clara's real intentions were to destroy any evidence of its existence the second she was alone. The last thing she wanted out in the world was an embarrassing polaroid of herself basically being put into a headlock by her younger brother while Sirius laughed.

One of the boys had other plans though.

"I'm keeping this." Sirius said with a chuckle as he quickly snatched the photo from Marlene's fingers and pocketed it.

Damn it.

Clara frowned at him, trying her best to hide how annoyed she was, "What for?"

"Memories, darling. And blackmail." he said wickedly.

She parted her lips, ready to throw the first insult she could conjure up in her mind at the boy, but the whistle of the train stopped her. That crooked grin never left his lips as Clara decided he wasn't worth the effort and left in a huff.

What a nightmare, she thought as she weaved her way through students still lingering in the narrow halls of the train carriages. However, all of her frustrations finally melted away when she found the boy she had been looking for. Their eyes met when Gideon caught sight of her and nodded his head in her direction forcing his twin to turn around.

"Hello, love. Have a nice holiday?" Fabian greeted as she approached them.

"It was... interesting."