[2] 12 Months

Double update!

Reader POV

Life with the Rengokus was...interesting.

Kyojuro made fun of me and was never really nice, but at least his mother was.

Speaking of which, his mother gave birth to a healthy son named Senjuro and he took most of her attention.

His father was also there, but he was mostly just a blank person.

Most of the time he was busy with being the pillar of fire for the Demon Slayers.

It was wintertime again which marked a full year of me being in the Rengoku household.

The neighbors all knew me as the weird mountain girl and me knowing them as downlanders as they didn't live on a mountain.

I put on my boots and walked outside, Kyojuro following me as his mother always made sure he or she was with me.

"You know what really stinks?" Kyojuro said as he kept kicking snow onto me as we walked. "As soon as ya showed up, Mama's been fawning over you. She won't leave me alone about how pretty you are."

I smiled, knowing how Ruka liked to tease Kyojuro that the only reason why he was so mean to me was because he liked me. I knew better.

"Ok? That sounds like-"

"Be quiet, I'm not done talking." Kyojuro grabbed my hand and gave me the most confused look ever. "I never asked you this, but I suppose it's fine to ask now. Where did you come from? Papa won't tell me anything, just that you're from an old village that no longer exists."

I shrugged and pulled my hand away but he grabbed it again.

"And your necklace. It's cold and looks like a real snowflake but won't melt." He took my hand in both of his, staring at me. "Who are you?"

I didn't have an answer so I pulled away again, walking faster. 

There was a rustle behind us and we stopped.

"Well well..."

Kyojuro stiffened. "I thought you moved away, Giyu."

The boy simply scoffed. "I did but now I'm back. Who's the girl, Kyojuro?"

He approached us and I was taken aback by how blue his eyes were. "Wow..."  His face turned even more red.

"Hey, back off! She's like...younger than us!"

"I'm 5," I frowned. "A year younger than you."

"Still," he insisted. "We're older than you. You don't get to decide-"

"Be nice," Giyu snapped before his expression turned soft. "What's your name?"

"Fuyuhita (y/n)," I said quietly. 

"Fuyuhita?" His eyes widened. "Wait. Is-was-your father Fuyuhita Yukiharu?"

I nodded. 

"Boys!"

All of us turned around to see Shinjuro standing behind us, arms crossed.

"Busted," Giyu whispered.

"Papa-"

"Not a word, Kyojuro." Shinjuro grabbed my hand and picked me up, scolding both boys to follow him. "We're going to take Giyu back to his home and then have a little chat."

Kyojuro stuck his tongue at me a bunch of times but his father smacked him for it.

"Ruka!"

The pretty woman came running quickly at the sound of Shinjuro's voice, holding baby Senjuro. "What is it?" 

"I found these two outside."

Her curious look turned cross and she glared at Kyojuro as Shinjuro gently placed me on the gorund. "Kyojuro! I told you-"

"It was my fault!" I said quickly. "I wanted to go for a walk and you were asleep. I didn't want to wake you up. I'm sorry."

Her cross glare turned soft towards me. "I know, sweetie. But Kyojuro should've known better."

"Hold him for me, won't you?" Ruka handed me Senjuro who squirmed a bit but didn't wake up. 

Ruka marched her son to the kitchen for a scolding which could be heard from where we were.

Shinjuro motioned for me to sit down, a grave look on his face.

"Child, do you understand what Tomioka Giyu was asking?"

I shook my head.

"Your father used to be a close comrade of mine," Shinjuro said with sorrow in his eyes. "He and I trained to hashiras together. Him working to be the hashira of winter and me fire. Your father was a noble man and believed that demons and humans could co-exist together. A statement I supported."

"He and I were a great team, really. But then he met your mother and had you and your brothers and sisters." Shinjuro's eyes turned dark with so much emotion. "There was a time where your mother and I were close. Very close. Then she met your father and the rest was history."

"Your oldest brother Shielo. He was born six months after your parents got married. I don't know what exactly happened, but I knew that your parents were a match made in heaven."

"By the time you were born, your father knew you were graced with the Fuyuhita family gift. He told me he would train you one day and step down once you were ready to be the winter pillar." Shinjuro motioned for me to give him Senjuro. "But he isn't here now."

I looked down at the fire burning in the hearth. "I know."

"Indeed. We made a promise with each other, child. We would take care of each other's families if anything happened to us. As such, I will protect you and train you as best as I can, and so will the one training young Tomioka Giyu."

"He is training to become the water pillar. Winter and water are very similar so I will teach you all I can before you train under them." Shinjuro placed a hand on my head. "We will begin training on your eigth birthday."

"Until then, I want you and my Kyojuro to at least become friendly. I forsee something happening between you two. Someday you may need to rely on him as he will rely on you."

__________________________

Do you like it so far or nah? Just testing out a new idea.