Lies

I sigh again, before looking at the door that leads to Cole's office. It's closed, as always. But I know he isn't here. He's been gone all week and I feel like it's my fault. I haven't seen him since the day I snapped at him and after he's avoided me all day after that, I'm pretty sure he's still mad.

Although he didn't seem mad. I mean, I know he was but he's such a calm person. Even when he's mad. That's also one thing I really admire him for. Even when he's upset or whatever he manages to stay calm and elegant.

I stand up to leave. It's already past five and I was supposed to go at five. But I somehow hoped he would still come. Maybe he really is avoiding me and would come to work after me, but I guess he just didn't go to work at all. I mean he can, he's the boss.

"Hey." I blink at James standing in front of my car in the empty parking lot. Oh shit. He's leaning against my car, smiling at me in an innocent matter, but we both no he isn't.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, not bothering to greet him back. He looks surprised for a moment, before stepping closer. The Mia two months ago would've taken a step back in fear, but I don't. I'm not scared of him anymore.

"I thought I would pick my girl up and take her out for dinner." He shrugs, caressing my cheek. I pull away, making him frown.
"Your girl? I don't think so." I say, making him chuckle.

"I forgot you already had another guy." He says, his eyes darkening.
"I don't. I just don't feel like being with you anymore. You haven't called in ages. Where have you been?" I ask, curiosity getting the best of me. He shrugs, before crossing his arms over his chest. Not as muscular as Cole, but still his biceps show.

"Here and there. Trying to fix myself. I'm sorry for what I did to you. I know I don't deserve another chance, but think about it, please." He says and I almost snort out loud. Another chance? The fuck did he smoke?!

"James, you hurt me. I have given you too many chances to believe you now." I shake my head.
"But I've changed. Look, I was at a self help center in Seattle and they helped me. I didn't drink in ages." He says, making me raise an eyebrow.

"That's good for you." I say and he nods, biting his lip.
"So, even if you don't want to give me another chance. Do you want to go to dinner with me? I'll explain everything. I think you at least deserve an explanation as to why I vanished and stuff." He says and I nod.

"Okay." I say. He smiles and we drive towards the restaurant. Let's see what he has to say.

+++

Cole's PoV:

"Why was your car parked before you even arrived?" I ask, stepping into Mia's office. I frown at the flowers that she set on her desk. Who sent those? She looks at me in surprise, before standing up, trying to cover the flowers with her body while nearing me.

"What?" She asks, making me look at her face. I narrow my eyes at her.
"Why war your car parked before you arrived?" I ask and she frowns at me.

"You sure that was my car?" She asks and I nod.
"That can't be. I drove here with my car." She lies. I saw her car, I'm not stupid.
"No, I definitely saw your car." I say, stubbornly. I haven't seen her in a week and I'm still upset at her little attack last Monday.

"Where have you been the past week?" She asks, changing the topic.
"At home." I say honestly. She raises her eyebrows, waiting for an explanation, but I don't have any.
"Doing what?" She asks.

"I-I was sick. I'm better now." I say and she nods slowly, not believing a word. I wouldn't either, I've never been a good liar.
"Oh." She says and sits back down again. I eye the flowers.

"Who sent you those?" I ask, making her shrug.
"I brought them." She lies again. I saw her coming in this morning, without flowers. Why can't she just tell me the truth? Well, but on the other hand if she had a new guy, I wouldn't want to know.

"Okay. I have some paperwork for you in my office. Get them when you're finished with your work. I'm downstairs if you need me." I say and she nods, typing something on her computer. Work, I hope.

"Jonas, right?" I ask the guy from the receptionist.
"Jonathan actually. But Jonas is fine too." He answers, making me chuckle. Almost.
"Sorry. Jonathan, would you be so kind and show me the footage of who came in from the parking lot today?" I ask and he nods.

"Do you have a specific time? This would help." He ask and I tell him the time Mia was supposed to come up, but she wasn't. At least she didn't use the parking lot exit to get in here.
"Okay, now show me who got in here through the main entrance at the same time." I say and he nods, showing me Mia who came in without any flowers.

"Alright, stop." I say when I see a mailman coming over to his desk this morning and leaving the flowers at his desk.
"Do you know who sent those?" I ask and he shakes his head.
"I don't read their attached cards. I just sent them to whoever they were for." He says, making me nod.

I think for a minute. So her car was here and she lied. But why was her car here? Why would she walk home on friday if she could just drive? I know that the way from the building to her house is pretty far away.

"Show me the footage of the parking lot on friday at five." I say and he does.
"Can this go faster?" I ask and he doubles the speed.
"Okay stop." I say and frown when James comes out of nowhere and leans against her car. That bastard. I watch as Mia comes out, shocked at first, but remains calm.

She walks closer and James does too. Sadly, I can't hear anything they said, but I see him caressing her cheek and ball a fist.
"Thank you, that's enough." I say and walk back to the elevator to go upstairs.