III. Freedom and a Brewing Storm

A/N: Have some really messy, rough sketches of designs I came up with for the reader (Proportions? No such thing). Trying to come up with outfits was a pain since I wanted some Genshin vibes while still making it obvious she's from another world. I kinda failed, but oh well :/

Just remember that this is simply my own random design. I haven't really specified her features in the story itself, so you're free to imagine her however you want.

Anyway, I feel like I messed up the reader's chill, "I expect nothing from life" attitude in this chapter. I wanted emotionally vulnerable and traumatized, ended up making her a little too soft... but oh well. Slowly healing, I guess.

~~~~~~~

"I'm Amber, Outrider for the Knights of Favonius."

The girl's chest puffed out slightly in pride, clearly immersed in her role. It was a strong declaration, you would give her that. There was only one problem.

"Who exactly are the Knights of Favonius?"

Amber gave you a scandalized look, as if it was blasphemy to not know who they were. Maybe it was, but it wasn't like you would know. So you gave her a deadpan stare, expressing that yes, you had no clue who these supposed Knights of Favonius were. It seemed to prompt Amber to finally take a closer look at the three of you.

"Wait, you don't look like citizens of Mondstadt... Explain yourselves," she frowned, crossing her arms.

"We're not looking for trouble," Paimon insisted, waving her tiny hands about.

"That's what all the troublemakers say," Amber replied, crossing her arms in suspicion.

"Well, my name is Aether," your friend started, nudging you forward slightly and making a hand gesture that looked a bit like he was showing you off. "This is (Y/n)."

"Those don't sound like local names to me," the proclaimed Outrider only narrowed her eyes more. "And the mascot... what's the deal with it?"

The indignant little noise Paimon let loose made you pinch your lips slightly, holding back the urge to smile. You were about to speak up for her when Aether bluntly stated,

"Emergency food."

You choked out a surprised snort before beginning to laugh rather uncontrollably at the unexpected answer, the sound causing Aether to whip his head towards you and gape. You never laughed, at least not this freely or brightly. At best, he was allowed to hear the occasional scoff, snort, or slight chuckle. A cute giggle if he was lucky. But never a full, genuine laugh.

To him, there was only one way to describe the moment, to describe the sound, to describe you... Beautiful.

Paimon looked torn between gaping like Aether and being offended that calling her emergency food was what got you to look so carefree for the first time. She finally decided on the latter.

"Hey, that's worse than being called a mascot! And you, stop laughing!" she pouted, crossing her arms.

"So, you guys are traveling together, then?"

"That's right. He's looking for his sister," you gestured to the blond, "And I'm tagging along because we're friends now."

True, if not completely and utterly over-simplified. Aether and Paimon nodded, though it was a little funny seeing how one looked so calm and the other completely erratic.

Amber's brows furrowed, clearly trying to discern if you were lying. Which you weren't, that much she could grudgingly conclude. Your tone was too flat and unbothered to be telling lies, and your expression was just as bland. The only thing she could be suspicious of was the guarded way you spoke and looked at her. But, everyone had their secrets, and Amber could admit that she hadn't been the most welcoming.