Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Doyoung continues to transport the heavy package of cartons in the truck. This will be his second part-time job, later tonight he will be a convenience store clerk. 

"You work hard, Doyoung-ah." Says Park, his co-worker and his senior. Doyoung grimaces, smirking at the older man who helps him to carry the heavy stuff. 

"Hyung, I need to pay my rent this month. I'm sort of cash and I already use my savings to pay the debt." The older man scoffs, not approving of him having lots of jobs because seeing Doyoung skinny physique and pale skin will think that he was vulnerable. 

"When the chief accepted you for this job, I thought you will just be a burden, but seeing your work harder than those punks who skip work to do cigarettes break made me think how admirable you are." Park grinned at the sight of Doyoung's shocked face. He never thought that Park would think of him like that, he was the person who helps him to know about their job and it made it easier for him to adjust. 

"I'm just doing what I need to do. You help me to be this way." Doyoung is sincerely thankful for his sunbae. If he acts cold or bullied on the first day, he is sure that it will only be harder for him to survive. 

"You and your kind nature. Be careful Doyoung-ah, not all people are trustworthy." Park utters in a low voice, he carries the bigger carton and walks past Doyoung. 

"I did not say you're trustworthy though." Doyoung jokes, he laughs when the latter stops and acts like he's going to attack him. 

"But I indeed trust you." Doyoung whispers because Park is one of the people who help him and become his close friend. Not that he doesn't have friends.

--

Doyoung walks at the convenience store on F street. He likes to walk in the sunset, which makes him witness the beauty of the sky changing and the sun fading before his eyes. The breeze is cool because autumn is near its end. The next season will be cold and Doyoung isn't ready sufficiently for the cold. He hated cold weather, it reminds him how harsh his life was and how others ask comforts with their families which Doyoung is sickening about. 

Doyoung is an orphan. He spent his childhood in different homes and every time he did, it was hell. The first foster parents who adopted him had a debt from the gang, the two parents promised to pay them by giving their child and they adopted Doyoung to fulfill the promise. He was disgusted after accidentally hearing their conversations, he was lucky that he didn't trust them the first day. He was twelve at that moment. He came back to the orphanage and told them about it. Luckily, the director believes him. He was thankful. But the kids in the orphanage are getting bigger in numbers. The orphanage needs to let go of some of the children when they reach fifteen and Doyoung only has three years to plan his life before he starts to live in the streets which he dis when he was seventeen. 

Other foster parents adopted him but to Doyoung's unfortunate luck, the father is a psycho. He likes beating his wife and his children and Doyoung doesn't know why they even adopted him. He runs away again. Afraid that the third time he hurt him he would die. He came back with wounds and bruises to the orphanage. The blood is running from his head, and he collapses after he was at the front door. 

For the third time, Doyoung became vigilant, he didn't open up but the old lady liked to adopt him. So bad because she thought that Doyoung needs a family. She has seen Doyoung in the streets before, she has a small store near the alley of the orphanage and sometimes she participates in feeding the children in the church. Doyoung reminds her of her lost child. After seeing Doyoung's pitiful state, she opens his home for him, cooks him hot food, and cares for him, like a family is supposed to be. Doyoung cried on the first birthday he celebrated with his family.