5

AT LAST, it was time for capture the flag. When the plates were cleared away, the conch horn sounded and the campers all stood at their tables. Campers yelled and cheered as Annabeth and two of her siblings ran into the pavilion carrying a silk banner. It was about ten feet long, glistening gray, with a painting of a barn owl above an olive tree. 

From the opposite side of the pavilion, Clarisse and her buddies ran in with another banner, of identical size, but gaudy red, painted with a bloody spear and a boar's head.

Percy turned to Bridget and yelled over the noise, 'Those are the flags?'

'Yeah.'

'Ares and Athena always lead the teams?'

'Not always,' she said. 'But often.'

'So, if another cabin captures one, what do you do—repaint the flag?' She grinned. 'You'll see. First we have to get one.'

'Whose side are we on?' She smirked. 'We've made a temporary alliance with Athena. Tonight, we get the flag from Ares. And you are going to help.'

The teams were announced. Athena had made an alliance with Apollo and Hermes, the two biggest cabins while Ares had allied themselves with everybody else: Dionysus, Demeter, Aphrodite, and Hephaestus. 

Chiron hammered his hoof on the marble. 'Heroes!' he announced. 'You know the rules. The reek is the boundary line. The entire forest is fair game. All magic items are allowed. The banner must be prominently displayed, and have no more than two guards. Prisoners may be disarmed, but may not be bound or gagged. No killing or maiming is allowed. I will serve as referee and battlefield medic. Arm yourselves!'

He spread his hands, and the tables were suddenly covered with equipment: helmets, bronze swords, spears, oxhide shields coated in metal.

'Whoa,' Percy said. 'We're really supposed to use these?' 

Bridget looked at him as if he just asked what two plus two is. 'Unless you want to get skewered by your friends in cabin five.'

'Here,' Luke gave him his supplies. 'Chiron thought these will fit. You'll be on border patrol.'

Annabeth yelled, 'Blue team, forward!'

They cheered and shook our swords and followed her down the path to the south woods. The red team yelled taunts at them as they headed off toward the north. Percy soon managed to catch up with Annabeth. Bridget was flying in her eagle form beside the blonde. 

'Hey.'

She kept marching.

'So what's the plan?' Percy asked. 'Got any magic items you can loan me?' 

Her hand drifted toward her pocket, as if she were afraid Percy had stolen something. 

'Just watch Clarisse's spear,' she said. 'You don't want that thing touching you. Otherwise, don't worry. We'll take the banner from Ares. Has Luke given you your job?'

'Border patrol, whatever that means.'

'It's easy. Stand by the creek, keep the reds away. Leave the rest to me. Athena always has a plan. C'mon Bridget.'

She pushed ahead with Bridget flying beside her, leaving Percy in the dust.

***

It had started. 

Bridget was supposed to circle the sky and keep a look out for the opposing team. Bridget-in-her-eagle-form looked down and flew straight down before resting on a branch. She turned into her human form and sat on the branch before pulling a chocolate out from her pocket and watching Percy and Clarisse. 'This should be entertaining.'