Chapter 28

"family dinner"

Andrew's POV

"Speaking of that. I need to tell you something." I said trying to hide my nervousness from her. I sat up as she followed my movements.

Where did the sudden burst of confidence come from? Truth to be told, I don't even know.

"Go ahead tell me," she responded as I looked into her eyes.

What I'm about to say can either break or create a relationship. So I'm a little scared right now but there is no going back right. "Brooke I-"

A ringing went off as I grabbed my phone from my pocket probably with a little attitude. I saw the name displayed through the screen as I lifted the screen up before quickly shutting it.

"That was your dad, right?" Brooke asked as I looked at her. "He's been calling all night and you've just been ignoring him. You didn't think you were being sneaky. Did you" She teased which made me chuckle. "Not on good terms with him?"

I sighed before giving her a response. "Yeah, I mean before my injury he actually started acting like a dad. But after, it was back to being an asshole. Then he brings a new woman and within seconds I have a stepmother. And since then it feels like he's forcing me to be a part of his 'dream family.' Which is just bullshit." She was just staring and listening to me as I ramble on. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to dump all my daddy issues on you."

"You don't have to apologize. You've listened to me ramble on about stuff so now it's my turn and I don't mind a single bit." She reassures me. "Also just know if you need any saving from your dad or stepmom, I'll be there to come and rescue you."

"The same goes for you," I respond as she just smiled in response before the silence took over. Should I tell her? What if everything goes to crap? Damn it, why didn't that call happen later.

"Andrew?" I heard her ask making me shift my attention towards her once again. "What's bothering you?"

Am I that easy to read?

"Um... I uh.. the thing I wanted to tell you before we were interrupted was" I stumbled upon my words like an idiot. I can see the anticipation in her eyes wondering what I'm gonna say. Screw it. I need to say it. "I like you- more than a friend." I awkwardly spoke.

And just like that, the words I held in for so long were let go. It felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders but at the same time, my heart felt like it was gonna pop out of my chest by how fast it was beating. Did I make the right choice?

"Andrew..." Her voice bringing me back from whatever daze I was in. I messed this up, didn't I?

Third Person POV

Brooke was shocked to hear those words. I mean it was clear that both of them liked each other more than friends but one was getting off a bad breakup and well the other one had his feelings on lockdown.

Before she could say anything else, Peyton and Haley had already arrived at the cemetery after finding out by a text from their brunette best friend.

Andrew just got up from the grass and walked over. Brooke did the same but her steps were a little bit slower but she eventually got in the backseat thinking he would follow.

"You're not getting in?" Peyton asked Andrew who was speaking through the passenger window.

"Uh no, I have to get home before my dad throws a tantrum but thanks anyway." He responded as Peyton and Haley just exchanged minor glances.

"Andrew get in, please." Brooke pleaded, not wanting to leave this conversation unresolved. "We can drive you home."

"No, really it's okay. Don't want you guys to run out of time."

"We could care less about this stupid dare night. Just get in with us." Haley told him. Andrew quickly glanced at Brooke before looking back to his childhood friend. It was quick but slow enough for Haley to see and catch on to the real reason why he didn't want a ride.

"Just go on, I'll see you guys at school." He replied as he pulled away from the car.

Not wanting to push him, Haley just nodded and told Peyton to go as she did just that. While Brooke was in the backseat just looking at him as they drove off. She wanted to say something, tell him what she was feeling but she couldn't, and that she hated that.

"So what was that about?" Peyton asked her best friend while peeking through the rearview mirror seeing her distraught.

At this point, Brooke just blocked everything out. She just wanted to go home, a place that will probably be gone by the end of the year or maybe sooner.

The two teenage girls just looked at each other with worried and curious expressions.

By the things Peyton heard from Brooke, it was clear that her friend liked this boy even if she didn't admit it.

The girls finally reached the cafe as the boys arrived at the same time. Questioning where Andrew was and getting their answer led them to be a bit confused and worried. While Felix just smirked knowing Andrew messed up his chance and there was no way he was gonna miss this opportunity.

Andrew's POV

Abuse⚠️

I screwed it up. Why did I have to tell her? I should've known.

I entered the house and was quietly trying to get upstairs but instead, a voice behind me stopped me in my tracts.

"So now you decide to show up?" My father asked with a scoff. "I text you and call you just for me to get nothing!"

I slowly turned around and stepped down from the few steps I took up. "I texted you I would be out," I replied in a calm manner which made him just laugh.

"That's a good one, " he says while he turned away from me before whirling back around and punching me in the face making me stumble back to hit the wall. "When I tell you to come home, YOU COME HOME!" resulting in me flinching at the raise of his voice.

"I-I'm..."

"You're what huh? Sorry? Well, it's a little bit too late for that don't you think." He replies as he kept pacing around the room. "See, all I wanted was a good family dinner. But no I couldn't even get that. Why? Well because my son decided that it was more important to be with friends." He talks as he looked at me with anger in his eyes. "I used to think you would grow up and make me proud, but it seems like every day you disappoint me more and more." He finishes before turning the light off and leaving me sitting there just like trash. Maybe he's right...