Chapter 9 ~ Breaking the Bronze

A few hours later, Percy awoke. He had already taken a watch and started his second nap. Slowly, Percy sat up and wiped the dust from his clothes. He had taken off the armor again, but in retrospect it might have been more comfortable than the floor of the cave. Percy stretched and his back made some cracking sounds as he stood up.

"Good morning. Or day or whatever time it is down here right now." Annabeth greeted from the entrance of the cave.

Percy greeted back and after a quick glance at Bianca, who was still asleep, he walked

over to Annabeth and sat down next to her.

Bianca also woke up as the warm feeling disappeared from her side that she had snuggled up to while sleeping. She suddenly blushed as she understood that it had been Percy she had instinctively snuggled up to. Percy, always the oblivious guy that he was, hadn't even noticed that he had been sleeping with his back snuggled up against Bianca. She decided not to get up until her blush had disappeared. Annabeth had seen it, of course, rolled her

eyes but decided not to say anything.

"We should get going," Annabeth said.

"You're right," Percy said, nodding. "We shouldn't push the time difference between the upper world and Tartarus too far."

"How exactly does that work, anyway? Is there just a different time zone here? Or does time move faster here? Or slower?" asked Annabeth rapidly.

"Jeez slow down, girl." Percy mused.

"To be honest, I have no idea how that works. It doesn't just follow a set rule or logic. Sometimes time goes slower here, sometimes faster. The differences can be tiny or huge. The whole place is just weird," Percy explained.

Out of nowhere, a small pebble flew at Percy's head.

"What the Hades?" he muttered, then realized. "Sorry Uncle." he said with a grin when he realized it was his oh-so-lovable uncle who had controlled the pebble and didn't appreciate Percy badmouthing his domain.
Annabeth stared at him with wide eyes.

"Another nice member of my family. We are in his domain right now. Be glad you haven't met him yet, his presence would probably fry your great wise brain."

"Great wise brain?" asked Annabeth with a furrowed brow.

"Yup." replied Percy with a grin. "I think you need a nickname. I'll think of something."

"Shut up Batbrain!" responded Annabeth with a similar grin.

"Batbrain?" asked Percy in confusion as he tried to make sense of his naming.

"Because you're the son of the Goddess of the Night. And bats are nocturnal animals, but at the same time have teeny tiny brains, just like you." explained Annabeth, as if teaching a toddler arithmetic.

"Oh I'll get you for that one!" Percy said while pouting. Inside, though, he was grinning because he had finally broken through Annabeth's analytical shell and he had gotten her to make a joke.

"Stop being mean, both of you!" hissed Bianca, now rubbing the sleep from her eyes, sauntering over to them.

"Hey I'm not Nico, you can't boss me around!" shouted Percy as the group now resumed their journey and made their way to the River of Fire.

"I'm going to count to three. One... two... thr-" began Bianca.

"Oh look, a dead tree and there it goes towards Phlegethon. Only half a mile to go. Let's hurry ladies." said Percy, chuckling nervously while rubbing his head and huuried of into the direction.