chapter 4

"Can you tell me what's wrong with my brother ?" Becca said as she entered my apartment. Reaching down to pet Salem who was rubbing against her naked calves.

"Why should I know what's wrong with him ? He's your brother." I retorted.

"Well for one I sent him to find you and he came back even grumpier than he normally is, mumbling something about fucking things up. He's been super passive-aggressive ever since Masterson's wedding. Did something happen there ?" She asked as she sat down on one of the stools at my kitchen island.

"He got a bit tipsy at the wedding and left after the dance we shared." I said, omitting the fact that he tried to kiss me and that I wanted him to so badly.

"So, you danced ? And then he left ?" She said absent-mindedly, stirring the fork around in her pasta. She had brought Italian takeout over for our weekly girl's night.

"Yep." I said filling her glass with white wine.

"Huh. All I know is that he came home rather drunk and Sam came over the following morning bringing over his bike that he had left at the bar." She forked the ball of sauce drenched pasta in her mouth rolling her eyes on how good the pasta was.

"That man needs to get laid, he's been extra annoying lately." She added, chewing her pasta.

As she said that I nearly choked on my pasta.

"Girl. You okay ?" Becca asked.

I coughed, my voice hoarse.

''Yeah, wrong pipe.''

'I met this guy at Sally's yesterday. He invited me to have breakfast with him. He is gorgeous, blue eyes, dark hair, thick scottish accent. His name's Richard. Well, then your brother came in to tell me that you were looking for me and got all up his ass when he saw me with Richard.

'But Buck has always been overprotective when it comes to us. Don't worry, he'll come around again.'' Becca ripped a piece of her ciabatta bread to mop up the rest of the pasta sauce off her plate.

After dinner we went on to watch a movie and half way through Becca fell asleep on my thighs. I watched her chest rise and fall peacefully but suddenly my phone started to vibrate in the pocket of my sweatpants, thank God that I had set it to silent earlier.

I took it out and looked at the screen. James. What does he want now ?

I tried to remove myself carefully from under Becca's body to not wake her and tiptoed towards my bedroom.

'You called?'

'Yeah, I did. Could I swing by to talk to you ?'

'Your sister is asleep on the couch, we would either have to be real quiet or meet outside, as you might know Becs is a light sleeper.

'Yeah, let's meet outside then, I'll call you once I'm outside your place.'

We said our goodbyes and I was pondering if I wanted to change what I was wearing. James knew what I looked like in sweatpants and a tattered band tee. Why was I suddenly so nervous ? It was just James. My best friend's brother but also James Buchanan Barnes was the man I was hopelessly in love with for most of my life. As I was lost in my thoughts, my phone vibrated with a text from James announcing that he was waiting outside. I left my room to look outside the window of my living room since it faced the street, it was raining. Great.

I ran back into my room to grab a hoodie out of my closet.

I closed the entrance door behind me and faced the direction of where James was standing. He was wearing a grey hoodie and a black coat, jeans and docs. His wet hair strands hung in his face. His facial expression was sullen, half smile on his full lips.

'Em.' he closed the distance

'James.' I was nervously pulling on the drawstrings on my hoodie, raindrops falling onto my face.

'I wanted to say sorry for the way I've been acting lately. It's not fair to you.' he said looking at me under his thick lashes.

I took a deep breath.

'You know what is not fair to me, Buck ? Leading me on for all those years, staking your claim on me, turning into an overprotective asshole once I started to date or even showing interest in anybody. Just make up your mind, James. I'm not waiting on you anymore.'I said

He sighed and slowly came even closer until his face was mere inches away from mine. His hand came up to my face, caressing my face with his thumb, my face wet from the rain.

'Just kiss me already, you dumbass' I whispered before his lips came crashing down on mine, feeling like right this moment my heart skipped a beat.

His lips soft but demanding, his touch igniting a multitude of fireworks on my skin.

The urge of wrapping my body around him and never letting go, grew inside of me.

His arms wrapped around my body as the kiss became more urgent, all this pent up desire.

Suddenly his lips stopped moving and he broke the kiss to look at me, breathlessly.

'Wow.' he said while smiling.

'Yeah, I agree.' I smiled back at him, looking at those beautiful blue eyes feeling like I was floating inches above the ground.

'I waited too long to do this, Emerson.' he said as he drew circles on my hand that he was holding.

'Fucking finally' I heard Becca call from the window.

We looked at her incredulously.

'Took you damn long, brother.' Becca added, now joining us downstairs.

'You two were miserable without each other, I knew that you were in love with each other since we were 16. I always wondered why none of you made a move.' She added.

'So you're okay with it ?' I asked her.

'Hell yeah, but if you break her heart, Buck. I'll break your knee caps.' Becca looked at her brother with a menacing grin.

'I wouldn't dare to deal with that kind of threat.' he said laughingly.

'Now, let's go inside before all of us catch a cold.' I said

James grabbed my hand again as we walked inside and I smiled. I could get used to this.