3. Blue Lightning

Claire Carter | Before

Hi Claire! Everything is about to change. - H.G.

I frowned at my reflection in the mirror. It looked the same as it did every morning. I plugged in my straightener, like always, and worked on my hair, like always. Afterward, I began to work on my makeup, just like every morning since the sixth grade. Everything felt identical to the day before.

Everything is about to change.

What? What could possibly change?

I muttered the words to myself until they didn't feel like a real sentence anymore. I had been waiting for some crazy phenomenon to explain the odd note from my script yesterday, but nothing happened. The suspense was making everything worse. I stared at my reflection in the mirror a bit longer than I was used to. Suddenly, I realized that Brianna would have kicked me out of the bathroom by now.

From somewhere, I thought I could hear a faint buzzing noise, like an old refrigerator or an insect the size of a lion. Maybe it was an alarm that Brianna was choosing to ignore. I slammed the bathroom door open and marched to my sister's room. Slowly, I checked the slit beneath her door.

The light that emanated from Brianna's room was a strange neon blue, flickering unsteadily. The buzzing got louder, giving me a headache. I hadn't been near Brianna's room in forever, and it felt a lot less welcoming since last summer. I didn't feel ready to knock yet, but I was content enough to spy.

Careful not to ruin all of my makeup, I shimmied onto my stomach and adjusted my gaze so I could get a better look through the slit between the door and the ground.

From my strange upward angle, I could see Brianna, her pale face locked in intense concentration. Her hands were outstretched a few centimeters apart, with a strange light running between them like a magical blue thread. As I stared in wonder and terror, I realized that the blue glow was lightning. Blue lightning.

"Oh my God," I murmured. My brain scrambled for a reasonable explanation, but I couldn't find anything.

The lightning extinguished, cloaking Brianna's room in darkness. "Claire?" I could hear her ask. I hopped onto my feet, but kicked Brianna's door on accident. I might as well have announced my presence with a megaphone. "Claire?" Brianna asked, more frightened this time.

I sprinted away, hoping I could make it to the bathroom before my sister caught me. I could pretend that I hadn't seen anything.

"Wait!" Brianna commanded. She clenched my arm tightly, forcing me to stop in my tracks.

"Brianna, what's going on?" I asked, struggling to break from her grasp.

"If you give me a second, I can explain all of this," said Brianna slowly, "I know it sounds crazy, but I think that I have superpowers."

"That's ridiculous," I responded immediately. Despite what I had just seen, I was willing to choose any explanation except that.

Everything is about to change.

"I'm serious," said Brianna, her bright blue eyes completely stoic. I laughed nervously, but Brianna's expression didn't waver.

Everything is about to change.

I backed away from Brianna warily. I had no idea where I was going, but I needed to get away from her. Brianna tried to reach for my arm again. "Claire, wait-"

"Don't touch me!" I exclaimed. I sprinted back to my bedroom and slammed the door shut, my pulse racing.

"Claire, you need to calm down, just let me explain-"