4. The Storm

Claire Carter | Before

Outside, rain was starting to pour. Students groaned as they trekked to their cars, some of them improvising protection by holding their school bags over their heads. A few freshmen sprinted across the parking lot to make the bus in time, shoving anyone who didn't match their pace. No one fought back, too exhausted from seven hours of academics. In the midst of all the chaos, Brianna calmly walked to her car.

"Can you please hurry up?" I asked. "These shoes are new." I looked forlornly at the white shoes Sophie had bought me last summer. I had been so excited to try them on, but the rain was close to ensuring that I'd never wear them again. Things like shoes were easy to worry about, and it was all I could force myself to think.

Brianna rolled her eyes, but walked slightly faster. Thunder boomed overhead, and the weather was only getting worse. When Brianna finally reached the car, she had to fumble for her key. As soon as I heard the click of the car's lock, I opened the door and aggressively threw my bag in the back, relieved to be out of the raging storm. Brianna wasn't moving with the same urgency. She started the engine, still not saying anything.

"Okay." I broke the silence. "You want to take me back to where it all began. Where is that exactly?"

The car skidded out of the parking lot unsteadily in response, and I gripped my seat belt as we raced across the asphalt into the pouring rain.

"Stop!" I yelled, but to no avail. The car accelerated dangerously as dark clouds continued to gather above. I turned to Brianna, so lost in her own thoughts she looked possessed. A feeling of dread settled in my stomach.

"Brianna!" I yelled, trying to make her snap out of it. I nearly yelped when white lightning violently pierced the sky, closely followed by a vicious crack of thunder. Usually, I didn't get startled so easily, but something about this felt wrong. The storm felt unnatural, like a dark extension of Brianna's demeanor.

Brianna made an unexpected right turn, away from our house. I stared at the route that would have taken us home woefully. I wanted to be brave, and I wanted to be there for my sister, but she was probably right. I couldn't handle this. I sunk into my seat, wishing that I could wipe away my memories from this morning.

Brianna finally swerved into an empty gravel parking lot. She stepped out of the car and slammed the door forcefully. I finally realized where we were: the abandoned soccer field that hosted the bonfire at the end of every school year.

"So this is it?" I asked Brianna. I followed her outside, exposing myself to the unrelenting wind and rain. Another crack of thunder resounded in my ears. I flinched at the noise and shivered quietly.

"I'm pretty sure this is where I figured it out," At least Brianna was talking now. She walked into the field, her shoes sinking in the mud. "Coming?" she asked. I could barely make out her silhouette in the rain.

I stared down at my shoes. "No thanks," I answered.

"Come on," said Brianna, more assertively.

"And then we can get out of the storm?" I looked up at the sky, which had turned black.

"Claire." Brianna insisted. It didn't look like I had a choice. As I stepped onto the field, my shoes instantly sank into the cold mud. I could feel the rain seeping into my socks.

"Okay!" I yelled over the storm. "What now?"

Brianna looked paler than usual, and her hands were shaking violently. I wondered what she was thinking about. We both refused to talk about the bonfire, but I didn't think Brianna had good memories of that night. I wasn't sure if she remembered it at all.