Moonlight and Cigarettes

It was another cold night in the town of Bellmoral, the chilling November air filling the lungs of any soul outside their house, or the poor souls who didn't have one at all. The moon shined brightly in the black sky, the moonlight casting a soft light upon the whole town, but in turn creating dark shadows which littered across most places. It was eerily beautiful. At least, Aubrey thought so.

He stood outside the local bar, admiring the sights in front of him, as he took a drag of his cigarette. Staying out this late wasn't helping the darkened bags beneath his eyes, but he loved the sights night would bring, and he could never get a good restful sleep these days.

A drunken man stumbled out of the bar's doors, Aubrey pulled his attention away to glance at him. The man wore a black unzipped jacket, which revealed his grey Black Sabbath t-shirt, which appeared to be stained up severely. He appeared to be wearing a pair of jeans, equally stained as he shirt, and they even had rips in them in odd places. The only thing on him that wasn't stained or ripped were his brown boots, which were just slightly dirty with dirt of some other grime it's been exposed to. Aubrey turned his attention away from such an eyesore to him and went back to admiring the moonlit streets.

"Hey, you there," The man spoke, Aubrey once again turning his attention to him. The man's breath smelled heavily of whiskey, and he had a slur to his speech. "The fuck are you looking at?" He spoke angrily, while leaned back against the bar's door to keep himself standing, or so it looked.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to stare-" Aubrey was cut off by the man's drunken yelling.

"Listen here you lil' shit, next time you fuckin' look at me afain I'll knock your damn teeth out!" Aubrey just stood quietly, pausing before finally speaking once more.

"A-As I said, I'm sorry for staring, and I'll be sure to not again." He said somewhat nervously, not wanting to upset the incredibly drunk man further. He really didn't feel like getting into a fist fight with someone who smelled of whiskey and urine. Apparently his words didn't cause further aggravation with the man though, as he soon turned around and stumbled away, almost tripping on nothing as he walked.

Aubrey gave sigh of relief, taking one last drag off his cigarette and stomping it out. It's about time he started home.

He continued to admire his surroundings as he walked, the streets almost completely devoid of life, besides the few still out, and the cars the drove through. A slight wind picked up, making his dark brown hair move somewhat, or what little that poked under his black beanie. Eventually enough, he reached his apartment, unlocking it and going in, before shutting the door behind him.

His friend Kaleb, who he had been letting him stay with him, was passed out on his old, busted up couch. The glow of the tv illuminated the room, the rest of the apartment dark.

Aubrey began to take off his coat when he heard a groan come from Kaleb, awaking and tiredly looking at him. "Oh, hey Aubs." He said with a lazy smile. Aubrey gave an eye roll at the nickname.

"What have I told you about calling me that?" He said, an ever slight smirk on his face, as he hung up his coat and hat.

"That'd you'd 'throw me into the dumpster behind the building.'" Kaleb said, the lazy grin still upon his features. Aubrey took off his boots and put them neatly away, just sitting beneath the coat hanger by the door. He ran a hand through his hair as he plopped down beside him, Kaleb moving his legs to make room.

"I'm tempted to do that you know.." Aubrey said, finally relaxing into the couch. It had been a long day for him. Kaleb adjusted himself to be a little more closer to him, the grin somewhat faded, but it still fought to be on his face. He reached over to the box of pizza sitting on the nearby coffee table, grabbing a slice and handing it to him. "Thanks man." He said taking it and immediately beginning to eat it. He hadn't had much to eat today, that Kaleb knew. It didn't take a genius to know he didn't eat as much as he should, not by his own choice though. His work schedule was strict when it came to breaks, he barely had enough time to eat.