03. Oh, Heathcliff

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

coffee shops and confidantes
act i , this is war
chapter three , oh, heathcliff

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

➖CAROLINE LOCKABY ➖september 1977

CAROLINE LOCKABY
september 1977

"LITTLE DARLING, it's been a long, cold, lonely winter. Little darling, it feels years since it's been since it's been here."

        The Shop Around The Corner had very few Muggle artefacts about it, and the ones it did have were hardly that extraordinary, but Caroline couldn't deny the affection she harboured for the record player that had been gifted to Birdie, last year, by her brother's girlfriend, Julia.

        Birdie was grateful but had very little idea how it was used, it was only when Evie came into the shop, and saw it sitting idle, did they work out its function.

        The record currently spinning on its needle had been gifted by Evie as she had assured them that she had many a copy and considered it a civil duty to bestow an edition of Abbey Road upon them.

        Caroline had to agree that it was a very good record, hence why she made a point of switching on the record player whenever she went on her break. While, all the songs on the album were simply phenomenal— words taken directly from Evie's mouth — Caroline definitely had found a favourite in what she had dubbed 'The Little Darling Song'.

It brought her comfort, like a great warm hug on a crisp autumn morning — just like the weather that lingered beyond the windows of the coffee shop.

Maybe Padfoot had been right in his assessment of the season after all, she had certainly felt it that morning in the crunch of the leaves underfoot and the cool chill in the air as she walked down to open the shop.