04. Game On

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

coffee shops and confidantes
act i , this is war
chapter four , game on

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

➖CAROLINE LOCKABY ➖september 1977

CAROLINE LOCKABY
september 1977

"OH BIRDIE!"

Caroline found herself wincing at the sing song tone that startled her away from the pages of her book. The strong Scottish lilt filling her with dread as she turned around and met the gaze of Mr Zonko, who was striding into the shop looking as smug as ever.

The end of her shift was fast approaching, with the large clock on the wall reading 5:55pm, and Caroline — albeit, completely in love with her job — was anxiously counting down the seconds until she could make her getaway to Evie's party.

But that of course had nothing to do with the conversation she'd had that same afternoon with a certain troublemaking Gryffindor.

"Where is she then, eh?" Zonko shot Caroline a look as he shut the door behind him, shutting out the cold autumn dusk. "Where's my darling neighbour?"

"She's not here, Mr Zonko." The blonde at least found the strength to reply, mustering as much of a smile as she could.

"She's not the only one." He replied, looking around the spread of empty tables that sat in the cafe.

Caroline desperately fought the urge to argue and instead stomached an inhale, keeping her smile firmly on her face — Birdie had strictly instructed both the blonde and Preston to not rise to any taunts thrown in the face by the man, it only fuelled his ego.

"What can I do for you exactly?" She asked, her tone hardly mirroring the polite expression on her face. "You're wanting a drink or—?"

"I wouldn't want to do that, would I, now?" He grinned, rolling up the sleeves on his pinstriped jacket as he threw around judgemental glances. "The sooner this place is in the ground, the sooner it's mine."