♟You too♟

"Looks like you're just about six weeks along, so we're looking at a Christmas - New Year's baby."

The nurse said joyfully as she printed off a picture of the alien-looking fetus on the screen.

Jaden gazed at the picture still in shock. She was very much pregnant. Mama held her hand trying to comfort her.

"Once the doctor comes to check on you in the morning you should be good to go. We're going to give you one more IV bag and I want you to get some rest okay." The nurse instructed. "Are you hungry at all?"

"No, I'm fine," Jaden told the nurse who was wheeling the heavy ultrasound machine out of her room.

"Do you need anything?" Mama asked.

"My phone." She said, realizing she would be stuck in bed once they started the next bag of fluids.

"I think Jace has it, I'll have him bring it in. I'm gonna go take care of some things, but I'll be back in the morning. Get some rest." Mama said kissing her on the cheek. "Love you."

"love you too."

Jaden got up to pee.

When she came back out of the bathroom, Jace was sitting down holding the ultrasound photo.

She looked at him nervously, but he smiled at her, "December 31st, huh?" He said. "Bet you she'll be born on my birthday, January 3rd."

She gave him a generic smile.

"Why don't you look happy?" He asked sitting the picture on the bedside table.

"Your brother said he didn't want kids." She said quietly.

"Nah, I think D is just scared of leaving his kids behind like our dad did when he went away."

"He almost did," Jaden said as a tear fell.

"But he didn't Jae. I think God knew y'all both needed this baby."

"What if he doesn't see it that way?"

"Have you seen D with kids? He might be a mean ass, but that man loves them lil ingrates." Jace confessed. "When you're at school, he's at his community center doing everything he can to make sure those kids have the chances he didn't. I can only imagine how he'll be with his own. And mommy will spoil the hell outta her first grandchild, especially if she's born on the same day as her favorite son." He smiled at the thought.

"She huh?"Jaden smiled, "Thank you, for all the times you had my back." She wiped the tears from her face.

"Yes she, that's my niece in there. It's no problem crybaby." He teased. "Here, call my brother. He got the phone in the bed with him waitin on you." he passed her the cellphone. "Let me if you need anything. I can sneak you some real food later so you don't gotta eat this hospital shit." He told her before walking out the door.

She unlocked her phone and FaceTimed Desmond, "what's up bae," he answered. The room was dark and she could hear the beeping of the machines in the background.

"Hi." She said laying down with the phone next to her propped up against the bed rail.

"Everything aight down there?" He asked.

"Mm-hm. I'm just dehydrated so they gotta give me another IV. I should be discharged tomorrow, so then I'll come stay in your room." She told him.

"Aight. You miss a nigga?"

"Yeah, " She admitted, smiling. 

The nurse came inside the room, "Okay Jaden, we're going to start this IV. It should be done in two hours. The doctor is going to come in the morning to check on you, then we'll get that IUD out, okay."

"Okay,"

Desmond sat on the phone silently as he watched the nurse reattach Jaden's tubing.

"All done, I'll be back around midnight." The nurse said leaving out the room.

Jaden turned back to the phone seeing Desmond smiling in the screen, "You ready for me to get you pregnant, huh?" He chuckled.

"Why you sayin that?"

"Cause you takin out yo IUD."

"You don't even want kids."

He stayed quiet for a second before asking "What if I do, though?"

"That's yo pain meds talkin."

"Give it a few weeks, you'll believe me."

"Mm-hm." She hummed, dozing off.

"I love you, Jaden," Desmond said, knowing she'd be sleeping soon.

"I love you too."

♟•••••♟