𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐓𝐖𝐎

MAYHEM

     THE VIKINGS had set up camp just outside the Kingdom of Wessex as they all gathered, preparing and strategizing for their next move

Sophie was escorted into a tent by Hvitserk, accompanied by four guards to ensure she remained confined until they convened for the feast. They couldn't risk losing their valuable hostage.

Later, she followed two guards to where King Ragnar and his allies were assembled. The raucous noise reminded her of the feasts she had witnessed in Kattegat, but this time, she was to join in rather than serve.

Life had its way of playing tricks.

It remained unclear to her whether they were planning to attack her kingdom or negotiate with her father, potentially offering lands in exchange for her—a typical Viking strategy. If Helen had accompanied her, Sophie might have learned a thing or two about their plans, but she was on her own.

"Join us, Princess," King Harald beckoned, seated beside Floki and his brother.

"Get our Princess a drink, please," King Ragnar instructed one of the servants they had brought along.

"I don't drink," Sophie informed them as she settled between Athelstan and Torvi.

"Tonight, you shall drink," Ragnar insisted, flashing a playful glint in his eyes, prompting chuckles from everyone. The servant served her a cup of ale.

"I knew it from the first time I saw you," King Harald began. "You didn't look like a slave."

"Didn't we all?" Lagertha chimed in, eliciting another round of chuckles. They were all quite inebriated.

"Not me," Ivar interjected. "I didn't. I think she looked just like any other slave, except maybe her temper, which of course didn't do her any good, isn't that right, Sophie?"

Ignoring him, she shifted uncomfortably in her seat, prompting Athelstan to offer her an assuring smile.

"She eventually did learn," Ivar continued, growing impatient for a response. "Look now she decides to remain silent." The room erupted in laughter. 

Were they all enjoying making fun of her?

"Well, that's enough," Ragnar intervened. "You are making our guest uncomfortable."

"I like it when she gets uncomfortable," Ivar laughed, prompting another round of laughter, even from Ragnar this time.

Uncomfortable and irritated, Sophie ate little of what was served before she called it a night, leaving everyone else to their revelry.

Sensing someone else's presence in the tent, Sophie jolted upright, somewhat relieved to find King Ragnar seated beside her, watching her.

What a creep.