𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

I AM KING

MORE LAND. That was the deal in exchange for Sophie, at least that's what she had heard. The Vikings walked out of the womb driven by greed, for no matter how much you give them they would always want more.

Sophie was led by Ubbe and Hvitserk to her father's kingdom - the home she hadn't seen for almost two years. He had asked to see her and King Ragnar didn't seem to have a problem with the idea to Sophie's surprise, so there she was escorted by two guards with Ubbe and Hvitserk in tow.

Walking into the hall, Sophie first met the eyes of Bishop Heahmund who had a rather fierce expression on his face at the presence of four Vikings in the castle who came to bargain with her, a Princess, and not just any princess - Ecbert's daughter.

What a joke.

"There she is," announced Ragnar with a smirk the moment he noticed her walk in causing her father, her brother, and everyone else to glance at her. Last time she saw Ragnar he was one step from murdering her and yet there he was with that stupid smirk on his face again.

"My beloved Sophie," her father gasped as he instantly rushed towards her only to be stopped by Ubbe and Hvitserk who pulled out their swords pointing them at the old man causing Bishop Heahmund and Athelwulf to pull out their own, the guards following their lead with one motion.

Sophie tensed, her eyes going wild as they searched her father's face for some kind of assurance that it was all under control - a gesture, but he was as helpless as her.

"It's alright," King Ecbert addressed his men urging them to lower their weapons which they obliged. "There's no need for that."

"You said you wanted to see her," King Ragnar rose from his seat as he stood next to King Ecbert facing an uncomfortable Sophie before motioning for his two sons to lower their swords. "Now that you did, we can get going."

Get going?

Sophie just wished someone would explain to her what was going through her father's and Ragnar's mind. Why wouldn't they just agree to the deal offered and be done with it?

"You have until sunrise," King Ecbert told him as he watched Athelstan and Lagertha walk past him following Ragnar and his sons who had Sophie pulled along with them. "Don't be scared, my love," he called after her.

She was too numb to be scared.

Ragnar found it better to discuss the offer with his people before he took any decision, so Sophie was locked in her tent again as they negotiated the terms until there was a commotion from outside causing her to peek out.

"Why should we make any kind of deal with them?" spoke a man.

"We can't breach the city, they're well prepared, they're offering a good land," Björn said. "Do you need more reasons?"

"I say we form a siege," Ivar spoke. "They'll probably run out of food. Then we should let them starve."

Everyone started speaking all at once until Ivar spoke again raising his voice to be heard.

"They won't attack us," he said. "We've got their precious Princess."

"You're out of it brother," Sigurd spoke.

It seemed that the Vikings' opinions were divided, some wanted to attack the Kingdom, kill King Ecbert and slaughter his men, others wanted to starve them to death, while the others agreed to more land and it was slowly getting out of hand as Ivar and Sigurd came head-to-head.

"It is you who wants to go away to sunny places," spoke Ivar who Sophie could see sitting across from Sigurd along with his brothers. She didn't see Ragnar from where she stood hidden in her tent.

"You are crazy," Sigurd said. "You have the mind of a child!"

"And all you do is play music, Sigurd!" Ivar retorted, his words making the crowd break into laughter.

"You make me laugh," said Sigurd. "Just like you do when you crawl around like a baby."

"Shut your mouth!"

"Enough!" shouted Ubbe who seemed to take the role of his father as his presence was missing but it did little to the two angry brothers.

"This has nothing to do with you!" Ivar shouted and Sophie noticed some movement as she noticed Björn approaching his brothers.

"What's the matter, Ivar? You can't take it?" Sigurd spoke again.

"Ivar, do not listen to him," Ubbe told his little brother, and before he or Björn were able to act, Ivar was launching himself up as he threw an axe towards his brother.

"Ivar... Ivar!"

The screams seemed to fade as Sophie watched Sigurd with horror as he choked over the blood that started running out of his lips. She was too lost in the moment to notice a storming figure enter the scene.

An eerie silence haunted the air as Ragnar followed by Athelstan who was trying to keep up with his long strides appeared through the crowd. Ivar was as shocked as everyone else. He looked as if he had just snapped out of a trance only to find out he had murdered someone and that someone was his brother.

Ragnar said nothing as he rushed towards his dying son holding him close. Never did Sophie recall seeing Ragnar in that state.

Broken.

Vulnerable.

Weak.

She hadn't noticed when her feet had carried her neither did the shocked guards whom she was now standing beside just outside the tent.

"I have something to say," Ragnar's voice brought Sophie's eyes back to him as he stood to address the crowd.

"I did not become Earl because I aspired to be one. It came about because of other peoples' actions," he glanced at Lagertha in particular.

"And I did not become king out of ambition. But once again I had no choice, as a result of other people's actions. But nonetheless, I am king," he shouted. "King Ragnar! Hmm. That is my name. King Ragnar!"

"What does a king do, Björn?" he turned to his son.

"He rules," Björn replied.

"Yes!" Ragnar shouted. "Good. He rules. And as a ruler, I have the last say. Me! Not you! Not you! Not you! And not you!" He pointed at different men among them Ivar who was trying to make sense of it all.

"You have all had your ideas discussed," he said, his voice echoing. "Now, with no more discussion, we shall meet King Ecbert tomorrow."

note

This book is coming to an end soon. Are you ready?