03.

03. 𝒕𝒐𝒐 𝒍𝒂𝒕𝒆 𝒕𝒐 𝒔𝒂𝒚 𝒈𝒐𝒐𝒅𝒃𝒚𝒆

WHEN the father and daughter knocked on Hanna's door, they expected silence

WHEN the father and daughter knocked on Hanna's door, they expected silence. As usual, after a fight.

It was the next day, around five in the evening, when the pair decided to head over to the woman's apartment. Riley had texted her a couple of times during the day, as Eddie called once to let her know they were coming.

To apologize, to make up before she leaves for Queens. Both felt sorry for what was said- or not said- yesterday and wanted to leave on good terms, as both cared still so much about her, despite their differences.

Riley looked to Eddie to signal for him to knock again, after a few moments of silence. He does, this time more forcibly, his knuckles aching slightly afterward.

Riley swallows, a small wave of worry for the silence her mother was leaving for them forcing her eyebrows to narrow downwards.

She sighs, bringing a hand up and knocking on the wooden door, number 23B.

"Hey- hey Mom? It's me, Riley, and Dad's here too. Can we come in? We just wanted to talk. Please?" Riley pleads from the outside of the door.

A lady appears down the hallway, of whom only Eddie notices, who's short and fragile. She holds a small purse and walks with a cane, decorated with children's stickers.

Eddie gives her a small smile, and she does the same, muttering a grave greeting to him. He turns back to Riley.

"I'll do my chores every Saturday from now on, if you please just open the door," she adds, trying to appeal to her mother's softer side.

The old lady, who's now unlocking her apartment door down the hallway, stops to look at them, keys still in the door. She clears her throat, catching Eddie's attention.

"Excuse me, dolls," she starts, and Riley turns now, her hand lowering. She looks to the voice and recognizes who speaks.

"Oh-- hey Ms. Flannery. Um, sorry about the noise, we're trying to get my Mom to open the door..," Riley trails off, giving Ms. Flannery a sheepish smile.

Riley expects Ms. Flannery to nod and laugh a little, but instead, her face sags, her age becoming more prominent. Eddie's light facial expression becomes heavier, taking the form of a frown.

Riley immediately knows that face; it was one she knew Ms. Flannery only wore if she knew something someone else didn't know. And in this case, it was something negative rather than the more frequent positive cases.