Chapter 3

Carlisle and Esme were in Carlisle's office, sitting on the couch. They were both peacefully reading a book. Esme was leaning against Carlisle's shoulder. Carlisle had been feeling a little guilty since Christopher had arrived. He had never told his family that he had a brother.

"What's wrong?" Esme asked, looking up from her book.

"Nothing." Carlisle lied.

"You're such a bad liar, Carlisle." Esme said with a chuckle.

"What makes you think anything is wrong?" Carlisle asked.

"The only time you stroke my hair is when something is bothering you because it calms you down." Esme replied. Carlisle was quiet. He hadn't realized that he had started doing it. "Talk to me, please." Esme said.

Carlisle sighed. "I'm sorry I never told you or the family that I have a brother." He said.

"I never said anything." Esme said.

"I know, but I'm sure you're thinking it." Carlisle said. "It wasn't that I didn't want to tell you guys. It's just."

"It was too hard to talk about." Esme finished.

Carlisle nodded. "We were very close growing up." He added.

"How are you feeling about this?" Esme asked.

"I don't know." Carlisle said as he ran his hand through his hair. "I never imagined I would ever see him again. Let alone the fact that I never imagined he would have been turned into a vampire."

"Are you not happy to see him?" Esme asked.

"Of course I'm happy to see him. Seeing him again has brought up a lot of memories. Memories I forgot I had because it's been so long. It's made me see how much I missed him. " Carlisle explained. "But, part of me wants to tell him to leave and go back home."

"Do you not want him here?" Esme asked.

"That's not it." Carlisle said. "I know we need as many people as we can get and we're not trying to start a fight, but we have no idea what's going to happen with the Volturi. I can't ask him to risk his life for me. He has a daughter and he's my brother."

"And he's the only family you have left from your human life and you don't want to lose him after just finding out that he's still around." Esme finished, again. Carlisle nodded. "Everything will be ok." Esme assured him. "You can ask him to leave and after everything is over, you can ask him to come back."

"You're such an optimist." Carlisle said. "And I love you so much for it."

"I love you, too." Esme said. Carlisle leaned down to kiss Esme.

Downstairs, Christopher was conversing with others. Some of the vampires here, he actually already knew. Like Alastair and Peter and Charlotte.

A little bit later, Christopher was sitting outside after talking to Paige on the phone.

"Hey." Someone greeted him. He saw Carlisle join him.

"Hey." Christopher said. Neither of them said anything for a moment. "So, you never told your family about me?" Christopher spoke up. Carlisle looked at him. "I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to listen in on your conversation with your wife." Christopher added.

Carlisle chuckled. "After being around other vampires, you learn to get used to it." He said.

Christopher chuckled as well. "So, you want me to leave?" He asked.

Carlisle sighed. "I don't know." He replied.

"Is this confrontation going to come to a fight?" Christopher asked.

"That's not our intention, but it's the Volturi." Carlisle said. "You have a daughter and I can't ask you to risk your life for me."

"I'm not giving up that easily." Christopher said. "It doesn't matter how long we've been apart, at the end of the day, you're my brother and I would do anything for you."

Carlisle sighed again. "Thank you, Christopher." He said. 

Some of the others started coming outside. "Who's the blonde?" Christopher asked.

"Which one?" Carlisle asked.

"The curly haired one." Christopher specified.

"That's Tanya." Carlisle said. "The other blonde is her sister, Kate."

"They're sisters?" Christopher asked.

"Not biologically." Carlisle replied. "But, they've been apart of the same coven for many centuries."

"Who are they?" Christopher asked.

"They're the Denali Coven. They live in Alaska." Carlisle explained. "We consider them our cousins because they live so close to us."

"Is it just the two of them or are there more in the coven?" Christopher asked.

"No, it's more than just the two of them. There's Carmen and Eleazar. They're mates." Carlisle answered, pointing them out. "And Tanya and Kate have another sister, Irina, who kind of is the reason my family is in this predicament."

Christopher nodded. "What are they doing?" He asked.

"Helping Bella develop her gift." Carlisle replied. The two walked over to the group. Kate was using her gift to help Bella with hers.

"Dude, you're not motivating her." Emmett said.

"Do you want to try?" Edward asked.

"Nope, I'm good." Emmett said.

"I'll give it a try." Christopher said.

"I wouldn't, Christopher." Carlisle said.

"Well, I'm not you." Christopher said. He didn't know what Kate's power was, but he didn't think it would be that bad.

"I won't be responsible for your idiocy." Carlisle said. Christopher chuckled, having heard his brother say that many times growing up.

"You never are." He said.

As Christopher stuck his hand out towards Kate, he saw electricity flowing through her hand. As he made contact, a shock went through his hand and body.

"Ahh!" Christopher said, jumping back. Tanya couldn't keep herself from giggling a bit.

"I warned you." Carlisle said. "I see you still don't listen to me."

"Why should I when I'm older." Christopher teased.

"And yet, I'm the more mature one." Carlisle said.

"Yeah. Yeah." Christopher said. The two brothers started roughhousing with each other.

"Did I enter an alternate universe where Carlisle is actually fun?" Emmett asked.

"I think this is a part of Carlisle from his human life that we've never seen before." Esme said.

AN: I know the scene with Kate is with Garrett. You can assume that still happened after Christopher. I just wanted to something like that and Carlisle and Christopher being brotherly to each other. I never specified before but Christopher drinks human blood through bags. He doesn't hurt anyone. Also, I wanted to ask if you guys think Christopher should have a gift. I figured it would be interesting if Carlisle didn't have a gift, but his brother did. If you do, let me know what kind of gift you think he should have.