Chapter 9

I slowly munched the spoonful of rice in my mouth thoughtfully.

Mom and Derek were busy chatting about something in vexed tones and my step sisters were playing with their food.

I was the only inactive person on the dinner table that night. My mind was flowing with a darkened traffic of thoughts.

Dad had called me. He sounded just like I remembered him.

"Dad," I said shaking when I heard his voice. "Is it really you?"

He took a while before answering," Yes Chad. . .it's me."

Tears welled up in my eyes and before I could say anything, he hung up.

I gaped at the phone screen in disbelief. A few seconds later, I received a message on my phone.

"The alleyway at Bernie's," It read. "10 o clock, Bring the Book."

I sighed in relief. I was going to meet my fricking Dad!!

Bernie's was the best. . .and only diner in our town. It was were kids hung out in the evenings to catch some fun. I only go there with mom or Jason.

"Can you pass me the potatoes?" Derek asked, snapping me out of my brief reminiscence.

"Sure."

I reached for the bowl of potatoes which sat directly at my front and passed it to Derek who sent me a warm smile.

Derek had always tried to be nice to me, which was something I didn't want.

Mom and I were fine before he came along.

I put the last spoon of rice into my mouth and pushed my plate back.

"What's for dessert?" I ask my mother.

"There's no dessert, bitch." Natalie snapped.

I blinked in surprise.

"Natalie!" Mom cautioned her.

"Where the hell are your manners girl?" Derek said. "At your age I could never say these things in front of my father. He had something called the Belt."

I didn't say anything. I stood up from my chair. "Good night mom,"

"Hey where do you think you're going?" Derek questions.

I stare back at him. "My room, where else should I go to?"

"Sit." He orders me. "I've called for a mandatory family meeting." He smiles feeling like the president of the United States.

"What is this, some kind of society?" I say. "Since when do we start having mandatory family meetings?"

"Since now," Mom said, her face straight and stern. "Sit Chad"

I sit down, only because Mom told me to.

Derek sighed and said, "Your Mother and I have decided that all of you except Patricia should get part time jobs."

Natalie groaned and banged the table and Patricia grinned like and evil elf.

"Why?" I said shocked to the marrow. "I don't need a part time job Mom. I mean what with the SAM club and. . ."

"It's not an option." Derek said.

"Even though I'm the Principal of the elementary school," Mom began. " Salary from the board aren't always coming in as usual. . .most teachers have already left the school and your father's job isn't fetching enough money."

I sighed and sunk into my chair. This was definitely not happening.

"We've already arranged everything for you," Derek said to me. "We're still not sure if Natalie can have a job at this age."