Chapter Five - House Discord

Hella dialogue in this one.

******

They had only been a month at Hogwarts and Astraea was done. She thought that her Slytherins would be the hardest ones to put in their place but it seems that two boys by the name of Sirius Black and James Potter took that cup. She and her siblings were making great progress, each of them showing great talent as Astraea slowly but surely drifted into the background. While it was no secret that she was the Head of their Family and a metamorphmagus, everyone including Dumbledore had concluded that she was of no value nor a threat. The Slytherins however knew the truth. That she may look innocent and sweet but she was powerful. Well, powerful for a schoolgirl is what many of them thought. She was lucky that there was an unwritten rule that no word of the Slytherin Court was to be spoken about to those not of House Slytherin unless it came from the Slytherin King or Queen themself or maybe Dumbledore would have shown an interest in her. James had not spoken to her after the first time she had tried to speak to him since her sorting. She had been met with two wands in her face and an exclamation of how she was a slimy snake and that she no longer had to right to call him by his name. She grimaced at the disgust on his and Sirius's face before she walked off, a grim feeling settled in her chest. Neville, of course, had taken their words personally and resolved to never speak to James or Sirius again unless they apologised. They refused and now the tension in their dorm was palpable with Remus and Peter caught in the middle. They hadn't pranked her, probably because of Neville but their 'pranks' against the Slytherins were becoming more and more malicious. And as usual, Professor McGonagall did absolutely nothing about it.

Astraea had become rather close with the other two Marauders, the Slytherin studying with the pair every Wednesday and Thursday before dinner. Both of them were smart and sweet people. They had tried to apologise to her for James and Sirius's behaviour but she only shook her head at them, stating that she would accept no apology unless it came from their mouths. They never brought the two of them up again after that. Soon, Narcissa, Regulus and even Severus began to join their study sessions. Severus was still uncomfortable being around any Marauder but even he began to warmen up to their presence.

One night it was just her and Severus studying, the rest of their group having other things to do. Astraea was studying for her Ancient Runes test the next day when the sound of footsteps interrupted their studying. Looking up, she saw Lily Evans cautiously approaching their table. She watched the expression on Severus's face; it was completely a smile but she could tell that he was happy to see the girl. Astraea nodded in greeting at the beautiful muggleborn witch. She could see why James was so infatuated with her; she was very beautiful indeed, maybe even the most beautiful witch she had ever seen. If only Astraea knew that according to many, that was her title. "Do you mind if I sit and study with the two of you?" she cautiously asked, her emerald eyes looking at Severus before they flickered to her, the caution shining brightly in her eyes. Astraea realised that Lily was probably cautious of her because she was a Slytherin. And many of the Slytherins had not been kind to her at all since she had come into their world.

Astraea decided to put her at ease, smiling brightly at the girl and removing her bag from the seat next to Severus. "Of course, Miss Evans. Please sit." She replied to her. Lily looked at her in shock before turning back to Severus who nodded at the chair next to him. Lily sat and pulled all of her things out of her bag slowly, quietly assessing the Slytherin girl seated across from her. The muggleborn witch had been curious of her ever since her first day here. Lily had seen many pureblood witches and wizards bowing to her or trying to have a small bit of her time. This behaviour wasn't limited to her though, her siblings were treated the same way as well. She finally broke and asked a pureblood Gryffindor in her year named Marlene McKinnon why everyone was fussing over the Laurent siblings only to find out that the four of them were practically royalty in the eyes of the Wizarding World High Society. Astraea's family were famous for producing some of the greatest Witches and Wizards of all time. There was even a theory that they were descended from Magic herself. The Laurents were very famous when their family suddenly disappeared.