2.2

"Oh my God, this is huge," Randy says as our group stops behind a brick wall. The chief, who is standing at a podium with microphones coming at him from every direction, is surrounded by news reporters. Surrounded.

"Do you have any suspects?" I hear the familiar voice.

"No shit," I say, turning to Randy. "Gale fucking Weathers."

Randy turns and gets Sid's attention. "Sidney, look. It's Gale Weathers."

"What?" Sid asks, walking over to see.

"Star of the Gale Weathers' press conference," Randy says, shaking his head a little. "Based on the book by Gale Weathers. Soon to be a major motion picture starring Gale Weathers."

"Be kind," Sid says. "She saved our lives."

"She's still a bitch," I say with a shrug.

"She had calf implants," Randy acknowledges, looking at her calves. I snicker. "I'm gonna get closer." He pats my shoulder and walks around the wall, towards the crowds of people.

"So that's her," Derek says.

"Yeah," Sid nods.

I glance over and see girls in pastel with the fakest smiles I've ever seen plastered on their faces. I roll my eyes and huff, fixing my bag. "Bitch alert, bitch alert. Three o'clock."

Sid looks at me before turning just as one of the girls in the pastel group says, "Hello, girls. Enjoying yourselves?"

"I was," I mumble, running a hand through my hair.

"Oh, hello, Sister Lois," Hallie says, putting a smile on her face. "Sister Murphy." Are they nuns?

"Hello, pledge," Murphy says. "Hello, Sidney. Hello, Diana."

"Hey," Sid says.

"This must be flat-out hell for the two of you," Murphy says. "How are you holding up?"

"We manage," Sid says.

"We've gone through worse," I say, turning back to the crowd.

I turn back with a 'are you kidding me' look on my face when Murphy goes on. "It's really weird, isn't it? To think this fuss is all because of the two of you! I mean, not directly, but in some six-degree-of-Kevin Bacon way."

"Do you ever stop smiling?" I ask her, tilting my head to the side a little.

They all continue to smile. Cult.

"Now," Lois says, "Hallie, are you gonna bring your friends to our little mixer tonight?" I would rather die. Literally.

"We have a lot of work to do," Sid starts, but Hallie interrupts her.

"We'll be there."

"Oh, good," Lois says. "Because, Sid, Dia, we have our eyes on you. You hang in there, and if there is anything we can do..."

"The Delta Lambdas are very sensitive to you plight," Murphy says. They start saying bye to us before turning and leaving.

"I need to soak in pitch black for about nine hours after that interaction," I mutter, shaking my head.

"You gonna start to dress like that once you get in?" Derek asks Sid.

"That's not gonna happen," Sid says, shaking her head.

"The Delta Lambdas are the biggest bunch of fuckin'—" Mickey starts, but gets interrupted by Hallie.

"Hey!" she says. "I'm pledging Delta Lambda, thank you."