Four: Training

"Punch the bag harder, I want to see the stuffing poor out," Eric urges Scar.

"If–you–want–to–see–that–you–have–a–very–sick–twisted–mind," Scar punches between each word.

"Why thank you, I try," he stares at her for a bit longer before yelling "Punch it harder!"

She growls and clenches her fists before throwing one at his face, "Is that hard enough for you?" 

Eric's face turns red from anger, "I recommend you stop before I give you another negative ten points!"

"HOW DO I GET MORE NEGATIVE POINTS?! I'M ALREADY AT NEGATIVE ONE HUNDRED!"

"I don't know, you're just special."

"Thaaaaaaanks."

I throw more punches at my bag, blocking out Scar and Eric's argument, and tune into the conversation on my left.

"I miss Erudite," I hear Sochi sigh. "Don't you?"

"No," Renner responds coldly, momentarily pausing his punching spree.

"Why not?"

"I don't want to talk about it."

"You shouldn't have followed me here."

"I wanted to protect you," he growls.

"I don't need protection, I chose Dauntless for a reason," she sighs, "You should've stayed like you wanted to."

I see Renner's eye flicker in my direction, "What'ya looking at? You need to focus more on your lousy punching."

"How about I demonstrate how well I punch on your face?" I defend.

"Why don't ya?"

We glare at each other and I raise my fist...

*

*

*

"Negative ten points for Thorn and Renner!" Eric announces, Renner and I glare, silently blaming each other.

"Wait! I thought those were reserved for Scar!" Some laugh, and Scar yells "Hey!"

"Scar's not special."

"Hey!" She says again. "Wait, didn't you just say I was special?"

"You are, to a certain extent. But anyways, you two are being punished for fighting, yada yada yada, now you can all go to lunch." Everyone dismisses themselves.

"Wait! Everyone wait!" Tris yells, but by then, everyone already left except me. "Thorn, you're still my favorite. But what I was going to say was that the first fights are after lunch."

"Okay thanks," and I run to the tables looking for a place to sit. Everyone is in their cliques. I look around and find Scar sitting next to Sochi, Ruth, and some other people I don't know, then take a place at her table.

"'Sup!" I announce, then notice that Renner is sitting there next to me, and I mentally groan.

"Guys, this is my friend from Candor, Thorn. Thorn, this is Sochi, Ruth, Hector, and Renner!" She points to everyone, then whispers "Be nice." A groan leaves my mouth.

"No promises," I respond, and take a piece of bread and place a hamburger in the middle. "Oh and Renner, I'm not sorry about punching your face."

"It's fine, I don't care as long as I trump you in the fights."

"How do you know about those?" I ask.

"Hector told us about it, he's a Dauntless-born," he said in his Erudite "Smart Alec" voice. (A/N One of theauthorinthemaking and I's friend wanted Hector to be in the book, so we changed changed this on purpose)