Chapter 3: Dreamy Thief

Alexa's P.O.V.:

I got ready for bed early that night. After my miserable time at Café Luna, I was in no mood to do anything else but rest. It had been a long afternoon of running mascara and my heart aching. My face was flushed red and splotchy with hot tears. I have to admit, I was a complete and total mess. I felt so empty and abandoned inside.

That night, I had a dream that Lynn had arrived at my apartment when it was pitch black outside; a different world by night. I heard her light footsteps, getting slightly louder as she neared my bedroom. At last, she slipped under my covers and wrapped her arms tightly around my waist. Her body heat radiated against me, making butterflies dance in my stomach. Her presence alone brought me comfort and relaxation. I felt safe for the first time in what had seemed like an eternity. I had truly missed that sensation.

Lynn stroked the side of my face, leaving sparks where her thumb made contact with my skin. She tucked the loose strands of hair covering my eyes behind my ear.
"I'm so sorry, Alexa. I promise to never hurt you again," Lynn said on the verge of tears. She sighed heavily, expelling air into the crook of my neck. A small grin had formed on her face, her deep green eyes filled with pure awe. She gazed at me as if I was the most precious being that had ever existed. "You're so beautiful when you sleep."

The next day...
9:56 am:

I awoke to the aura of bacon cooking in the kitchen. I listened to the soft sound of it sizzling in the frying pan. Had somebody broken into my apartment? This was the only possible situation, although it was very strange. It made little to no sense. If I were in a criminal's shoes; I wouldn't have stayed and cooked for the person I had robbed. Why would they be preparing breakfast? That dumbass thief.

My carpeted floor helped muffle my steps as I paced my bedroom, searching for a threatening object. It was a tough hunt. Nothing seemed to scream "get out of my fucking home or I'm calling the police, bitch". Maybe my pair of safety scissors? The rounded ends could totally be used in self-defense, right?

"How stupid of me," I muttered under my breath. But since nothing else was more suitable, I decided to stick with what I had found.

My heart pounded wildly against my chest. With each step gained down the stairs, I felt more and more afraid. Cold sweat trickled down my forehead and the palms of my hands went clammy, causing me to have a slippery grip on my pathetic weapon. I was scared out of my mind.

When I reached the end of the staircase, I stopped abruptly in my tracks. I took in the sight before me. The thief was hunched over, shifting the frying pan back and forth. She had a slim body and immense frizzy hair. Even though she looked almost absolutely unrecognizable, there was no mistaking the tattooed "P" on the back of her ear.

"Lynn?" I choked out. My hands went numb, causing me to release my grip on the scissors. They fell to the floor and landed with a clatter.

"I'm here." Lynn reassured me, grinning uncontrollably.

She extended her arms and I fell into her warm embrace. My lips collided with hers.