Chapter 3

My results were to be announced tomorrow and I had absolutely no interest in checking it this time. But I had to do it after getting multiple calls from Pri. I had managed to score 98% even after all these nonsense and I don't know if I should be proud of myself or not.

Amma asked about the results at the dinner table and both Ajji and Amma were happy as soon as I announced my results. Soon enough Appa decided to drop a bomb.
" Now that your results are out, there is nothing more to worry. The boy's family I picked for you will come to see you. I just hope they accept you. Be presentable when they are here"
There was complete silence in the room now and I was ready to accept whatever he said since I didn't have any other options.

" No Shashi, I've heard all your nonsense till now and I'm not going to tolerate it anymore. My Nidhu will continue her studies and nobody will stop her from that. You can spend lakhs on that son of yours who struggled to even get passing marks in 10th and now my hardworking girl should suffer because you don't want to spend on her college fees. You.. Don't bother about her expenses, I am still breathing and alive. My husband has given me some jewelries that I can use for this good cause. "
My usually soft spoken Ajji spoke in her authoritative tone and Appa wasn't particularly happy about it.
"So everyone is teaming up against me in this house now. I just wanted her to have a good future. But you guys are making me a villain unnecessarily. Do whatever you feel like. I'm out of this matter now"
He walked away as usual and I wanted to talk to Amma and Ajji about this.

We settled in Ajji's room for our late night discussions.
"Ajji, don't you think it will be more messy if we go against him? I don't want this house to look like a warzone and the ornaments that Ajja gave you are precious, I don't want you to pledge them or sell them."
I spoke what felt practical to me.
" Nidhu, I know how badly you want to continue your studies. Just because your Appa decided to be senseless and throw you into an arranged marriage, I won't let you get married this soon. Education is important Nidhu, especially for a girl. I don't want you to remain someone's wife forever. I couldn't have any type of education in my time, your Amma had to discontinue her studies because of marriage. Now I don't want you to be like us. Regarding the ornaments, I'm sure my hardworking girl will get them back within no time. If you can't get them back.. its fine too, we will get new and trendy ones. Your Ajja got them on his own, he didn't ask my opinion. This time I will personally select the designs. Isn't it good Sharada?"
My Ajji laughed at us. I know those things matter to her the most. After Ajja's death she carefully managed all those things he left behind as his memory. But now she is willing to give it to me, this means a lot to me. But I'm not sure if her sacrifice is worth or not.

" Nidhu, I want you to study further and create your own identity in this society. Your Appa has always favored Shrey in everything. But this time I won't let him have his way. I have saved some amount since long time for your studies. Your Appa doesn't know about it. Let me put it into use this time. Marriage can happen anytime but education is more important at your age. I will come with you for all the admission process. We want you to live your dream and have a career of your own"
Amma spoke as she caressed my hair. I'm really lucky to have these two strong women in my life who never failed to support me in anything. I think this is the window that god has opened for me since my fate decided to close all the doors to reach my dream. I need to work hard and use this opportunity to make my family proud.

" I will surely make you all proud. I will work hard and never let you regret your decision of supporting me. Thank you Ajji and Amma. You two are my blessing in human form "
They both gave me a hug and told me they were proud of me. I slept peacefully that night dreaming about my future.

Next day I went to college to get my documents attested since I need them for admissions . I had multiple options like Mysore University College, JSS college and Maharani's college for my further studies. Since my grades were good, I could easily get accepted anywhere. But I personally liked JSS college and it was closest one to my house. Their placement and research centers were really good and most of my seniors who passed out from there are now working in different pharmaceuticals and other government research departments. So I decided to go with it.