Chapter 4: She put what in the cookies?

---

-y/n

My pencil was gliding across the paper as if I was a machine just copying whatever I was reading in my open textbook. 

I was studying for that test I had in Mr. Ackerman's class today. I was trying not to freak out about it but, I was. 

Everything I was writing down was not making sense to me whatsoever and it's so embarrassing because it's an English class. Like I know I've said this a million times already probably but, English is supposed to be easy, am I right?

Or maybe it just comes easier to everyone I associate with leaving me to be the odd one out.

Although we are reading Romeo and Juliet in class. We did this like, sophomore year already but short stack thought that it would be a good idea to do it again, so here we are... reading the whole tragedy all over. 

But get this, he stops after every 3 sentences to have a class discussion that only 3 people ever participate in. Not to mention, he also has us doing an in-depth analysis of the story and Shakespeare's writing on the side as our homework. Then sometimes he has us reread parts of the story at home as well. 

Then if you thought I was done I'm not. On top of that, it's like every few paragraphs or so he assigns a 10-page essay about what Shakespeare was trying to convey in a certain sentence he chooses out and it's always something I cannot write a long ass essay about.

It's a lot of work in that class and it's draining. It'd be a lot easier if I understood what Ackerman was teaching but his teaching style, oh my god. I just can't understand it for the life of me no matter what I do.

I've started to give up in that class. If it wasn't for Reiner and my parents on my ass about it I would've stopped caring a long time ago.

The bell rings breaking me out of my thoughts and my pencil on the paper comes to a halt. I begin to pack up my belongings into my backpack. 

"Alright, kiddos! Make sure to study for that quiz on Wednesday!" Hange, my honors biology teacher announces in a sing-song tone. I smile at their enthusiasm. 

Hange is such a fun teacher. You know, like the teacher that has memes that are honestly not funny on their PowerPoint or has the bitmojis of themselves added into the emails they send as well? Yeah, Hange is that teacher. They're always jacked up on caffeine too so you can expect their lessons to wake you up if you have them for a morning class like me.

Since biology is one of my best subjects and I would have no problem catching up or understanding something if I have a question, I decided for the whole period I'd work on my English study guide. I can always study in the library after school the day before the biology quiz. 

This test is much more important right now even though I know damn well I'm going to fail, I'd be lucky if I got a D.

Once I pack up my things, I start heading towards the door. I notice out of my peripheral vision my classmate, Armin, staring at me. 

I wonder why he could be staring at me, it's odd. He and I hardly interact, and much like everyone else, if I do interact, it's a simple smile and nod or a quick hello.

I turn my head to make eye contact and my eyes meet his ocean azure eyes. I acknowledge him by giving him a kind smile with a head nod. After doing that I feel my heart drop to my stomach. What if he was just spacing out and now I look like an idiot.

Armin's face shifts to a pink shade and I watch a small smile creep out confirming, I in fact did not look like an idiot. A wave of relief washes over me and I walk out of the classroom into the incredibly busy hallway.