Chapter 4: Otto

The following evening was the night of the Grand Ball, where the king expected Princess Siglinda to dance with—and choose—a future bridegroom.
While the music played, all the princess could think about was going back to Swan Lake to be with Otmar. But Baroness Vona Ronja wanted her own son, Otto, to marry the princess. While Princess Siglinda was distracted, the baroness slipped a potion into the princess's drink. The potion would make the princess believe that Otto was actually her true love, Otmar.

Princess Siglinda could hardly believe her eyes when she saw her handsome Swan Prince, wearing a black ball doublet, gliding down the grand staircase. Of course it was really Otto, but because of the magic potion, the princess saw only Otmar.

Princess Siglinda asked Otto to dance, and as the young couple moved around the floor, the king believed his daughter had chosen her future bridegroom.
"Such a pretty boy. A prince who moves with grace and charm. The perfect choice."
The princess and prince danced, once, twice, three times and more. And the baroness watched, pleased.

Though Otto looked exactly like Otmar, spoke like Otmar, and moved like Otmar, Princess Siglinda felt that something was wrong. She didn't feel the same magic in her heart as when she first held the Swan Prince in her arms. Something was different, but Siglinda didn't know what.
The princess looked into Otto's eyes and saw that they were blue. Otmar's eyes were red. Despite this, Princess Siglinda heard herself declare her love, and Otto to marry her. Everyone cheered as the king gave his royal blessing.