5 | Who Are You?

haynee (hai-nee) noun

Expression of unknown origin common among the people of Tomesh; used to express shock, frustration, sadness, happiness, sympathy

***

The people of Tomesh may be wise, but they were ignorant of many things. They were too secluded from the rest of the world and understandably knew very little about the other lands. They were always curious about the ushas and the lands they came from. And so, when the first batch of ushas arrived, everyone was peering through windows and doors, others a little more shameless, ogling at the parade down the streets. Nascha, of course, was among them, eating baked brye sprinkled with sugar.

Her eyes were on the girl riding atop a horse. Her face was covered by a sheer white cloth, which made Nascha even more curious. The woman riding beside her was also covered in the same way. The younger woman's skin was brown, just a little lighter than hers. Her head was wrapped in the most beautiful golden cloth, which glimmered under the bright sun. Her back was erect, her head held high, looking straight and upward at the sloping village ahead. They were heading up there, near the House of Djozeh, where they shall hold camp.

Around Nascha, merchants were talking about their plans. They should pack and transfer to the camp and set up their kiosks. These ushas would need food and maybe clothes. Also trinkets. Or maybe a show to entertain them. Nascha's attention was drawn to the other riders. They, too, had their heads covered with colorful fabrics. And their horses dragged carriages covered with the same fabrics--yellow, blue, teal.

These people were from Achnus. Nascha had never been there, but she had heard stories. Their black stones were precious, but their land was not. It was dark there, they said. And it may not be true, but an aunt had told her that one of her friends from Kgosi said that Achnus was covered in ashes. Popping the last piece of her bread into her mouth, Nascha brushed her hands together and craned her neck to see more of the princess from Achnus.

"They say her name is Tia Turvass," said the woman beside her. "And that woman riding beside her is their queen, Yrlissa Turvass." Nascha turned and found old Gaera, wrinkled face crumpling as she squinted at the parade. Nascha, stepped back. She knew it was her fault that this woman's garden was ruined by scorpions, but she still detested Gaera. The old lady had nothing good to say to anyone, especially Nascha. Today was not an exception either, because as her eyes wandered to Nascha, she shook her head with disapproval. "Haynee! Your hair is turning white, dear," she said. "It's all that tugging. Your hair rings are not level. What would your husband think if he sees you?"

He did not say he dislikes it, nor did he say he likes it. She did not say the words. All she did was offer a tight smile and step back. Old Gaera looked away with disappointment, as if she bore Nascha into the world, fed her, taught her Tomera, and found her a husband only for all the hard work to not pay off. For this lady, everyone was a failure.

Meeting Gaera reminded her of her predicament. Karei was transferred to one of the prison cells in a nearby butte, far away from the king's tomb. The village chief was still deciding when they would take Karei out to the desert.

As she walked away, her thought drifted a little to Gaera's comment about her hair. She walked into the kitchen that morning to present the horror to her mother. "What happened to your hair!" her mother had cried out. "It's turning silver! It's all that tugging, Nascha! Go to your room now and don't come out without fixing those rings!"

Of course, she tried fixing the rings, but she did not bother to walk out her bedroom door. She climbed out the window and that was how she found herself watching the parade. And now, as her thought shifted back to the most urgent problem at hand, which was Karei's fate, Nascha spotted Kalesch from the other side of the street, looking around. He had a short wrap over his shoulders. His legs were wrapped in leather, secured by strings from his sandals. He looked just like every man in the crowd, but he stood out only because he was taller than most.