FIVE

HEY, DON'T HIT A PATIENT

When Kim Gaon wakes up he finds himself in huge noise. His best friend's voice was ringing in the whole room.

"You don't have to worry about him. I'm his best friend and it's better if he sees me and not some stranger when he wakes up."

He looks around and finds himself in a hospital room, his hand connected to the saline tube.

"Soohyun ah. Noisy!"

Both Yoon Soohyun and the other person looked at him. One relieved, the other furious. His voice was very raspy from not being used for a long time. And his whole body was aching. He tries to sit up and Soohyun instantly comes to his help. The furious expression on his face not changing a bit.

She helps Gaon to sit up and gets him a glass of water to drink and help soothe his throat. The other man in the room looks suspiciously at Soohyun and then silently leaves, letting the two figure things out for themselves. Gaon has just finished sipping on the glass of water when Soohyun hits him on the head.

"Ya! Neo mwoya?"(who are you?)

"Oh! I'm Kim Gaon!" He tries to smile. But even smiling hurts. "I'm the one who got beaten and you got amnesia?"

She hits him again. And Gaon had to pretend to be hurt to make her stop.

"Ya, Yoon Soohyun. Don't hit a patient." Then he gives her a painful smile. It was genuine, but the pain it brought was evident. "I'm okay. I just didn't realise in time that I was being followed."

"And you call yourself a detective." Soohyun sulks. Gaon is the only one that can see her like this. She can be however she wants to be in front of him and he won't mind coddling her. That is how their relationship is.

Gaon looks at her. Then tries to lift his arm to comfort the sulky little girl who's also twenty-six and a doctor.

She looks at him and her sad eyes show a lot of expressions. She was suffering seeing him like that. Gaon could feel that.

"I'm really okay."

"Do you know how scared I was seeing you being taken to the OR? You looked so fragile and it was blood everywhere. No-one could even recognise your face. Your body,,,,, your body...." She couldn't finish the sentence and she broke out into sobs that she was trying to hold back so hard. "How do you think that made me feel?"

"But I'm here now. And I'm okay."

"Hardly! You can't even lift your hand." She held back a smirk. And Gaon saw through it. He knew, the usual Soohyun was back.

She informed Gaon later that day how she found him and listened to him talking about how he ended up like that. And got angry once again at Gaon's carelessness.

"I told you this was a risky mission. You're doing this on your own. And now they found you." She scolded Gaon for not listening to her warning. "What would you do now?"

Gaon was eating a bowl of soup thinking nothing in particular. He wasn't sure if he should tell his best friend about his plans. And at the moment not telling her sounded like a better plan.

"I don't know. For now I'm going to recuperate with my best friend's help."

"Sounds like a plan to me." Soohyun could see through Gaon. She knew Gaon was hiding things. But she couldn't push him into telling her. If he doesn't want to, he won't tell her.

A week later, on a Friday afternoon Yoon Soohyun helps Kim Gaon get off her car and enter his house. She put everything near him so that he doesn't have problems finding anything. And leaves him to go to work. She can't afford to lose her job yet.

Gaon picks up his phone from his nightstand where his mischievous best friend left it. He hasn't checked it in a week. Soohyun would look at any important messages that needed to be transferred to him.

Some of his colleagues visited him at the hospital and his boss too. His chief visited him in the hospital and gave a good fifteen minutes scolding making sure he understood what he was doing was risking himself.

After opening the phone he saw all messages from his colleagues, his boss, one from insurance, and seven from an unknown number.

He opened the messages. And what he saw confused him. It was the same message repeated seven times. One message each day he stayed in the hospital.

"Why bother if you're gonna copy and paste anyway." He throws his phone to the other side of the bed trying to make himself comfortable. "Whatever!"

He immediately falls asleep not realising the indication of a message arriving.

On the other side of the same city in a long corridor a man walked by to enter a room. Where there was a man bound to a chair.

The trapped man could not talk just made some incoherent sound because his mouth was covered with tape. The domineering man moved closer to him and leaned in.

"How are you, Nam Cheolsu ssi?"

The man who addressed the other had a black mask on his face. He was in a casual hoodie and jeans. But his eyes and face showed the number of years he has gained. His eyes were cold, cunning and fierce like a predator. He grabbed Nam Cheolsu's throat making him choke.

"Remember when we had the same interests?" He lets go. As if he was crazy. "Oh! We still do."

He goes closer to the only window at the far end of the room. For a millisecond a broken expression was seen through the cracks of his resolution, but disappeared instantly behind the mask of resolve.

"But this time I'm on the winning side. I'm not letting anyone else control or win this game. You guys started it, and I am going to finish it."

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Hey guys! Here's a new chapter! I hope you enjoy! I'm gonna post longer chapter from next week!

All the love
C 💕

Also please don't forget to vote!