| 07 |: Twisting Tunnels

(Y/n) watched Itto leave for Hanamizaka. Apparently, someone had beef with the Arataki Gang, and one of his gang members, Akira was sent by Shinobu to pick him up.

"He's not a bad person, but I can't keep up with his energy. Uni has already made me lose years of my youth," (y/n) said, shaking her head.

"He's insufferable. I don't like him," Yuito muttered whilst crossing his arms over his chest.

"You like to hold a grudge, don't you?" she asked.

"Listen, you'd be annoyed too if someone like him persistently sends you letters about having a rematch!" he exclaimed.

Her eyebrows shot up in surprise. "You fought him?"

"While I was drunk..."

"What the actual heck. And you won against an oni." She stared at him, half in amazement and half in disbelief. "Drunk Commander Yuito is op."

"Archons, your vocabulary is getting weirder as the days pass."

"Yeah, anyway-" (Y/n) began to speak, but stopped short when she noticed that a certain retainer of hers was nowhere to be found. She could have sworn that he was with them a minute ago... Why does he keep disappearing? "Where did Tsukuyomi go off to now?"

Yuito did a quick scan of his surroundings. "Did he go missing again? I swear that samurai has been going MIA a lot since the day he found you unconscious outside of the estate. I don't think it's because of his clinic either because he has reliable staff working for him."

(Y/n) knitted her eyebrows together. Despite being known as the most devoted servant to the villainess, she noticed that he's rarely by her side. He'd respond to her calls for him without delay of course, but after that he'd disappear without a trace for the rest of the day. Before she could ask her brother more questions regarding her enigmatic retainer, a certain maid approached her.

"Lady (y/n), the mistress wishes to see you in her room," Sayomi said as she bowed politely. Contempt immediately flashed in (y/n)'s eyes at the sight of Aino's personal maid but she quickly restrained herself from starting anything. If she caused a scene now, her public image will plummet into the Abyss like Childe and her entire plan would then fall apart.

"... Tell my mother that I'll be there soon."

"As you wish, my Lady."

(Y/n) wanted to collapse on her futon after her awkward meeting with the villainess' mother. Aino was unexpectedly beautiful; she had long, dark violet hair that cascades straight down her back and a pair of half-moon, fuchsia eyes with long lashes. She's extremely pale as well which gave her a delicate appearance, and her lips were painted bright red to contrast her complexion. Her clothes and hairstyle reminded (y/n) of the court women during the Heian period of Japan, but that's to be expected from a traditional clan like the Yagen.

(Y/n) had her guard up the entire time. Although Aino spoke to her in a tender tone, (y/n) knew very well that the love her mother displayed was not directed towards her personally but towards the man she represented. She also realised the extent of Aino's obsession when she recognised the tea that was served to her as Riku's favourite tea. It triggered several flashbacks of Aino exhibiting violent behaviour towards the villainess whenever the latter would reject Riku's favourites; she was forced to do things that would make her seem more like her father, such as having to like what he liked and having to read what he would read in his free time.

'What a dysfunctional family,' (y/n) thought, expelling a deep sigh.

After confirming the absence of toxic chemicals in the tea Miho had served this morning, she washed and returned the apparatus to their designated places before exiting from the lab. On the way back to her room, she crossed paths with Yuuko and stopped in her tracks.