Epilogue

Before:

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep-

Michael:

His heart stopped beating and along with him a part of me died.

I stood beside him, his hand in mine. He was so cold. I kept waiting for him to hold my hand back, to wrap his fingers around mine and watch his eyes light up as they met with mine but he was cold and his eyes were closed. His eye lids hid away the death that slowly took his life. His skin was pale, his face looked heavy, and his heart wasn't working.

Tears stained the white blanket that covered his body neck down. "I'm so sorry Lukey." I whispered running the back of my hand against his cheek. And I could have sworn I saw a tear fall from his face. It just happened so fast I wasn't sure if I was imagining it. I'd been standing with him for almost three hours and no one showed up. He had no family left anymore. His mother was in critical condition and probably wasn't going to make it through the night. I wasn't going to make it through the night- did I actually see that or am I going crazy? I shook my head, letting go of his hand. I must've held it so long my hand got damp with sweat. I stepped back from the deceased boy and took in his lifeless features. "I love you Lukey." I said leaning in to kiss him on the forehead.

I can't believe that for even a second I hoped that would get him to wake up. I knew he wasn't going to, but the hope was still there. It will always be there. I turned away from my love and saw Calum and Ashton standing at the door. They had just heard about the news and for the first time, Calum was sad. His eyes were red from the tears that dripped down his face and he clenched onto Ashton's arm.

They didn't dare move further into the room closer to Luke. The fear of death was present and alive in the air around us. I tried to get Calum to see his best friend but he pulled away when I reached for his arm. Ashton, however he looked tough and managed to keep a straight face though when I grabbed his arm it was like he couldn't hold himself up. He dropped to his knees and covered his face as he cried in pain at the loss of his best friend. This made Calum move forward. He hesitantly inched towards the bed as I helped Ashton back to his feet. We both stood back and watched Calum approach the lifeless boy.

"He- hey," he spoke out. "C-can dead people cry?" He asked looking over at Ashton and I.

"What? N-no." Ashton said while sniffling his nose.

"Wait you saw that too?" I asked and ran over to the other side of the hospital bed. I wasn't going crazy. "Get the doctor!" I shouted and Ashton picked himself up and ran out of the room.

"Doc get in here!" He shouted.

Pretty soon there was a flood of doctors and nurses around Luke's bed. They hooked him up to the heart monitor and got the defibrillator ready.

"Alright 3, 2, 1, clear?" The doctor said unsure of what was going on.

Beeeeeeeeeeeeee-

The room fell intensely silent as we listened to the heart monitor whose beep stayed constant.

"How is he crying if his heart isn't beating?" The doctor asked warming up the defibrillator. "3, 2, 1, clear!" He shouted shocking the boy on last time.

Beeeeeeeeeeeeee-

"Come on Luke." Ashton whispered into the quiet room as he crossed his fingers and squinted his eyes shut.

"I'm calling it-"

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. Beep. Be-ep. Beep. Beep.