Speightstown Sugar

Amos

The Asian woman licked her lips, likely nervous from the way they'd all jumped out of their skivvies when he'd spoken. "I'm a captain."

He chuckled. "Only got one cap'ain in Barbados, and you ain't him. Besides, yew've got a lovely little lass wi' ya that looks a bi' out of place, doesn't she?" He winked at the cute little Carib girl.

She seemed astonished at the size of his fat belly and wouldn't stop staring at it, completely missing the wink.

He gave the Asian a sly look. "Unless yew've absconded with the lass from one of the local whorehouses, have ya?"

The four companions glanced at each other. Should they risk talking to him, or should they take him out like they had the guards?

The Asian seemed wary of him and spoke with suspicion in her voice, raising her chin in challenge. "Ok, we're prisoners. Just like you?"

"I am, I am. Wha' gave it away? The clothes or th' chains?" He chuckled.

A brow arched over one eye. "Are we going to have a problem?" she asked him, steel in her voice.

He let his amusement run its course, an old man having a bit o' fun by scaring them a bit. Obviously, the lot of them were up to no good and nervous as all hell of being discovered. He had no intention of ruining whatever they were up to, but there was no need to let them know that yet, was there? He had few enough joys in life.

"Problem?" He tugged his beard and narrowed his eyes at her. "We might not. Depending on yer intentions, o' course."

"We intend to set this place on fire," the lanky white guy boldly told him.

He gave a slow nod in return. "Aye, that's easy enough. Though I'd appreciate it if ya released me first. I've no desire to burn to death."

The woman shuddered and seemed to come to some decision in her mind. "Absolutely. We'll free you. I have no desire to wish that fate on anyone except my worst enemies. Armand?"

Armand, the black man, seemed wary but used the keys they'd taken to unlock the leg irons keeping Amos restricted.

Amos got to one knee and then stood with a grunt. He was a great bear of a man, taller than most men and twice as heavy. He had a lot of bulk to move, and it was getting harder and harder each year. He eased out of the teasing facade and relaxed to being his usual self. "Thanks, mate. And don't worry. Yew won't get no trouble from me now, ya hear?" He offered a hand.

Armand said nothing, just backed away without shaking hands.

Clapping his hands, Amos smiled. "Don't blame ya. Trusting anyone in prison is hard, in'it?" He put his fists on his hips. "So, a fire, eh? What for?"

The woman answered. "We're trying to create a distraction. A big distraction."

His brows rose. How intriguing. "Oh? To what end?"

Reluctantly, she confided what was likely the truth. "We're trying to draw attention and soldiers here so we can steal the ship in Bridgetown and escape the island."

His smile widened, and he felt his hope rise. "Ah, I see! Ambitious. Reckless." He ran a hand through his bushy beard in thought. "Don't suppose there's room for one more on this ship?"

Her eyes narrowed, and she seemed cautious again. "You want to join us?"

His face fell, and he grew more serious. His fun withered away as he recalled recent unfortunate events and the corruption of this place. "Seems my sentence has just been extended. Rotten bastards. So I wouldn't mind spending my days somewhere a li'le more pleasant than chained up on a cold, stone floor every night." There wasn't much left for him in Speightstown anyway now.