But She Gets Up Again

Mei

Mei...

Get up, Mei...

"Get up, Mei!" her mother shouted.

Mei blinked and realized that she'd blacked out for a moment. She was numb to the pain, aware that it was everywhere but feeling adrift in it.

The first real sensation to return was the gritty texture of the cobblestone under her fingertips, then her palm. The world came into focus, and a pair of black leather boots with silver buckles stood nearby.

Breathing hurt. That was odd. It shouldn't do that.

She could probably just lay there, and that pain would go away. But that felt wrong too.

She pressed down with her hand, feeling tiny pebbles in the street dent her skin. An effort of will was required to get her muscles to work. She channelled more and more into that task, and she rolled sideways. Somehow, she was on her hands and knees.

Her vision spun for a bit, taking her stomach for the ride, but settled. She took a risk and pushed, or something, and discovered she was standing.

Just a little more. You can do it, she told herself.

She straightened and felt liquid trickle down the side of her face.

Was someone cheering?

And there was music playing? Yes. Thunderous music.

She turned and saw the face of the owner of the leather boots. Tiredly, she raised her fists.

Captain Fowler backed up a step and lowered his arms with a laugh of incredulity. Even his posture relaxed. He sighed, and for the first time, his smile was kind, not mocking or superior in any way. "Ok, Miss Ling. I relent. You've put up an admirable fight. Far more than I expected. And I'm not...entirely unsympathetic to your plight here. Honestly, losing my ship and then dying at your hands did send me over the edge. I was angrier than I've ever been. You're probably right: I'm prideful. And when you wounded that pride, I sought to take it out on you. But I can respect an opponent who's put up the battle you have."

Though most of her senses were still slow to return to full function, she felt surprise stir in her. What was he saying?

"You may not have the skills or the physique to compete against me, but your spirit is worthy." He studied her and came to some conclusion, even going so far as to pull a handkerchief out, clean and then sheath his sword. "Let's end this. Give yourself up. I promise you will not be punished for anything you've done since arriving here. Neither will any co-conspirators. I'll make sure the governor doesn't get his hands on you. I'll even go so far as to keep you out of a cell."

"Are...are you...serious?"

He bowed his head. "Yes. You win, Miss Ling. We'll give you a regular job in town, a wage, a place to live. You'll still be a prisoner and have to reside in the prison system. But you can have a normal life here. You won't suffer at my hand or those who work under me. That I promise you. On my word as a gentleman. And believe it or not, but that does mean something to me."

Mentally, she was staggered. This was a complete about-face. Without a doubt, she'd fought back and achieved a real victory here. Likely, few prisoners had ever been accorded such an offer. With grit and determination and a hell of a lot of endurance, Mei had managed to earn the man's respect.

And she'd done it on the battlefield of all things. Her. A woman. An office worker. A child of the modern era transported back to the pre-industrial world. It was something to be proud of, and she took a few moments to savour the achievement.