♟️Healing♟

Desmond stood in the mirror admiring himself. A towel was wrapped around his lower half due to him just getting out of the shower. He was proud of how far he'd come since being shot. He'd finally started gaining his weight back. He didn't limp so badly when walking. Even though he couldn't smoke anymore, it didn't bother him because once he started attending therapy, his anxiety wasn't as bad anymore.

He pressed his fingers over the scar in his chest, the exit wound, where he still felt a stinging pain from time to time. It was a reminder to him to preserve every second of his life because he almost didn't have that chance.

Desmond was so lost in his thoughts, he barely noticed Jaden come in behind him until she laid her head against his back, while her tiny baby bump pressed against him.

"You okay?" She whispered, before kissing the scar on his back where the bullet went in.

"I'm good, bae." He replied turning around in her arms. He gazed at his woman, wearing his t-shirt, that fit her like a dress, her belly barely making a bump even though she was almost halfway through her pregnancy with their little bundle of joy. "You should be resting." He advised.

"I know, but I woke up and you weren't in the bed anymore, and you know how that goes," she smiled to hide her embarrassment.

Jaden still struggled with sleeping. There weren't as many nightmares about her past, but more so the day she thought she'd lose Desmond forever.

It had only been about three months since the meeting, but a lot had happened since.

Desmond took Jaden's hand in his and brought it to his lips to kiss her knuckles near the 14K white gold, pear-shaped, 3-carat diamond ring on her finger.

Even though Desmond had asked Jaden to marry him in the hospital that day, he decided it would be more appropriate to propose properly so he did, a month after

They were out at a nice quiet restaurant on a hillside with a view. They ate dinner on the patio in the warm summer evening, and once dessert came, the ring sat on a plate with the question written in chocolate.

Desmond wanted to get down on one knee but couldn't do that so soon after being shot in the leg, so he made due

Of course, Jaden cried, as she said yes, again.

They started therapy together, first with Doreen, a few times at the family home, then after a few weeks, they felt comfortable enough to go to a referred colleague of hers, so they could receive unbiased help with their healing process.

At first, Desmond would accompany Jaden to her sessions but more recently, she had become comfortable enough to go on her own and still open up. It's helped her in ways she never imagined. She's nowhere near completely healed, but she's a beautiful work in process.

Desmond's sessions have been helping him work through his own childhood traumas and anger issues. That was important to him for the sake of his future marriage and child.

As a kid, Desmond always cherished the way his father was with their mother. Kenneth never raised his voice at Doreen, and no matter how stressed he was when he came home, it was left at the front door. He showed her and his sons nothing but love.

Losing that took a toll on Desmond because he felt like he needed to take on that same role. He was nine when Kenneth went away and there was such a mess left behind Desmond had no choice but to give up his innocence to become his mother and little brother's protector.

Desmond placed his hand on Jaden's belly and smiled, "I'll be back later today. If you want I'll have Quis bring you some food."

"That's okay, I'm gonna cook some breakfast. You can tell him I'm cooking on your way out," she told him.

He leaned down to kiss her on the lips, "Aight."

She walked out of the bedroom and went to start cooking while Desmond went into his closet to get dressed. He was going to visit his father with his mom and brother.

His first visit in nearly 6 months.

At first, Desmond was just really busy and missed a few visits, but after the first month had gone by, he felt guilty because so much time had passed. Eventually, guilt became fear because he started thinking maybe that would be his future.

Desmond came out of his closet dressed in a gray Nike tech fleece tracksuit and a pair of black and gray Nike Prestos. He grabbed his keys and wallet off the dresser and an ultrasound photo for his father. He made sure to ask for an extra one as Jaden's last check-up for the baby's grand-pop.

Desmond walked into the kitchen and watched his fiancé dancing while cooking. He snagged a piece of bacon off the plate on the counter before giving Jaden one last kiss before he left.

"I love you, lil mama," he said as they pulled apart.

"I love you too, big papa."

♟️•••••♟