◅ Chapter 9 ▻

“The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off”
Joe Klaas

Katsuki had never seen his parents quite so still. All three of them frozen in a moment that seemed to be pulling their familial bonds back together, stitching up the broken seams giving them a chance to mend themselves. 

Masaru was the first to collect himself, starting to feel the cold seeping in now the adrenaline was waning. 

“Katsuki, we should head inside and call the authorities.”

Katsuki could see how he was looking at him. All those questions swimming in his kind eyes, but they both seemed to understand now wasn’t the time.

“Mom, you need to call the police and tell them we’ve found Inko’s body in our yard.” He held his mothers gaze, “Tell them Aizawa needs to know immediately.”

“How do you-” Mitsuki cut herself off and looked dazed for a moment longer before she rubbed her hands down her face bundled under the hood of her winter coat and nodded her agreement, “I want both of you in the house. Now.” Turning towards the house, she walked away with her slippered feet soaked from the downpour. 

The two men gathered themselves, both looking down at the scrape of bone leaving the earth before they rose and made their way back inside. 

Mitsuki was in the kitchen pouring boiling water to make them tea. After all that had happened tonight, Katsuki couldn’t help notice how calm she now was as she stirred sugar into his father’s cup.

There was a towel around her hair and fresh socks on her feet. On the island counter were more towels and blankets. She passed out the tea and stripped Katsuki of his coat, throwing a towel and then a blanket around his shoulders while Masaru did the same for himself, both taking seats at the counter. 

Mistuki slid into her own seat on the other side of the island and the house fell into an uneasy quiet. 

Katsuki cupped his hands around his mug, watching the steam rise and trying to gear himself up to speak. He knew he had a lot of explaining to do, after his old man trusted him and got down on his knees and dug through the dirt with him, he felt he owed them the truth. He was still cold, and aching, throat still scratchy but it was now or never really, they needed to talk before the police arrived. Shit, Aizawa, was he coming?

His brow pinched as he looked towards the old hag, opening his mouth to speak -

“I called. Said everything you told me to. They said they’d have a detective out within half an hour. Something to do with an accident on the interstate so it may take a little longer.” Her voice was softer than usual.

Katsuki knew they had to be shaken up by all this, but they were holding it together, probably better than he was if the tremors in his legs were anything to go by.

“That’s good.” He nodded in acknowledgement, “I uh, I know I have to explain all this shit, before they get here, but…” He stared down into his tea, seeing his parents share worried glances, “First I just wanna say thanks, for, ya know, helping me tonight. For sticking with me.”

The old man placed a hand on his shoulder, “We haven’t been around enough Katsuki, we’ve known that for a while.” He shifted uncomfortably, retreating his hands back inside his blanket as he frowned, “It’s our fault we- we didn’t realise how great the distance between us had become until you were too far away from us to want to come back. You didn’t need us anymore. You seemed happier and we gave up on bridging the gap.”

“We shouldn’t have, Brat.” The old had said, reaching over to take her husband’s hand in hers beneath the blanket. “We shouldn’t have given up. We’re here now. Talk to us.”