◅ Chapter 12 ▻

◅ 12 ▻

‘If you hurt me, I wouldn't cry. I would hurt you back.’
Holly Black

Both boys sat there for a long time, hands still clasped together over the planchette, unmoving. One boy crying in loud sobs for that which he never knew and still had lost. The other in silent tears that left salty tracks on his cheeks as he watched the boy he had grown to love crumble before him.

Outside of Izuku’s cries the atmosphere was tense, silent, and as he trailed off into repressed whimpers it became too much for Katsuki to stand. He pushed the board aside, the planchettle sliding onto the carpet, and pulled Izuku into his lap. The other came without resistance, head falling forward onto Katsuki’s shoulder, tears soaking into the fabric of his hoodie.

Izuku cleared his throat, swallowing audibly as he opened his mouth to speak, but nothing came out. Katsuki found himself whispering reassurances to the boy in his arms, rubbing his face against soft green curls in an attempt to comfort him.

The sky had grown dark while they were sitting there, the last of winter sun long gone behind the horizon. Katsuki had no idea what time it was, or how long his parents would be gone. 

“I- Thank you Kacchan.” Izuku’s voice croaked, breaking on each syllable. 

Katsuki huffed, the breath from his nose ruffling Izuku’s hair, “Don’t have to thank me. You did all the hard work, nerd.”

After a moment Izuku pulled away to look up at him with red rimmed eyes, “We did it though Kacchan. We helped her move on.”

“I think I might actually miss having her around… in a weird way.” 

Izuku chuckled softly, humorlessly, “Yeah, I still can’t believe that I lived here at some point.” He looked around, seemingly taking in his surroundings for the first time, green eyes roaming across Katsuki’s belongings despite the darkness cloaking them.

“Me either…” Katsuki hesitated, “Do you, uh, believe in fate, or destiny, whatever you wanna call it. Do you… do you think it’s real?”

Izuku shifted, his face becoming serious and pensive. 

“I think it’s a nice idea. You mean like, that we met and didn’t know all these strings were connecting us together? Pulling us towards each other?” Katsuki nods, “But no. I have to say no…I don’t.” The blond’s face falls as the words pass his lips.

Had Katsuki been a fool to feel some connection with Izuku, something deeper than a chance meeting? 

Warm hands came up to cup his face, locking their eyes together.

“I have to say I don’t, because as nice as the idea is, I want my choice- our choices- to mean something. I want you to know I chose you, and you chose me. Everytime we interacted, we made the choice to do so. I like the idea that you chose me Kacchan. And I guess my parents made choices too, so did yours, choices that just happened to bring us closer together.”

Katsuki pressed forward, Izuku’s palms slipping around his neck as he captured chapped lips in a gentle kiss. Pulling away only to tilt their heads and move back together, both boys breathing into each other with languid motions. 

“I think we should get up off the floor nerd, maybe figure out what you wanna do next?” Katsuki asked as they broke away.

He moved to stand, helping Izuku up after him. 

“I’m not stupid enough to think my dad is gonna get charged for this, but I’m also not ready to let this be, Kacchan. I can’t cut him out of my life just yet.” Those same kissable lips Katsuki loved so much pulled down into a frown, eyebrows furrowing in anger. “I want to confront him. I want him to know that I know. I wanna- I wanna-”.