53. JJ x reader:Diabetes

JJ Maybank x Type 1 diabetes fem! reader

Requested by @officaljjmaybank

Today was brief, everything went by instantly, but when school started, everything was slower and more tiring than usual. I spent the entire day studying for this big assignment due tomorrow. My mind was racing with information that we all know will be forgotten once this nightmare was over. I was so preoccupied that I forgot to take my insulin shots.

JJ, my classmate, was barely helping me in completing OUR project. He was looking around my slightly disorganised room with a curious stare. JJ has been one of my closest friends for a long time, as have John B, Pope, and Kie. I knew everything about them because they felt comfortable with me knowing things like Pope gets stressed easily and needs anti-anxiety medication. When I saw him have an attack during freshman year, he told me this. He instructed me not to tell anyone... As a result, I didn't. I know Kie likes one of the directions but is too embarrassed to tell the others because they would probably mock her. I don't know anything personal with John since he is a very non secretive person in the friend group. Now JJ doesn't tell me much as he likes to get as much information about me as he can. He's the only one that knows I am Diabetic. 

In frustration, I slammed my head against the pillow because I couldn't figure out how to finish the assignment. "JJ, stop fucking around; I need your advice with this last sentence." I mumbled. My head ached from what I assumed was stress. "Y/n, you're asking the wrong person for sentence help," he said, a cheeky smirk on his face. He saw my shots when he opened one of my drawers. "Did you take your blood pressure this morning?" JJ questioned.

My eyes widened as panic set in. "Shit." came out of my mouth as I reached for one of the shots, but JJ intervened. "I'll do it for you." He said this as he sat me down and lifted my sleeve. "Thank you for reminding me, JJ." As he inserted the needle into my upper arm, I said. "No problem whatsoever, y/n." He said softly as he inserted the needle, then removed it and threw it away from my arm. "You should remember Y/n you could have died!" He said this with his face crewed up and his brows causing his forehead to wrinkle. I sat there thinking, he's right. I could have gotten a DKA. "Stop worrying, JJ; this isn't the first time I've been a few minutes late for my insulin shots." I sought to comfort him, but it only added to his anxiety. "You could've had a DKA then!" he said, avoiding eye contact as he sat down next to me. He sighed and turned his head to look at me. "I need you to promise me that you'll use a timer because I can't have you doing this again. What if I wasn't here to tell you?" 

"I promise JJ I'll remember, there's no need to worry."

There was a need to worry. 

DKA - Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is a serious complication of diabetes that can be life-threatening. DKA is most common among people with type 1 diabetes. People with type 2 diabetes can also develop DKA. DKA develops when your body doesn't have enough insulin to allow blood sugar into your cells for use as energy. 

Charites for diabetes -

donate.diabetes.org.uk

American Diabetes Association. The ADA (American Diabetes Association) is the leading non-profit health organisation in American, dedicated to providing research, information and advocacy to diabetics.

EarlyBird Diabetes Trust.

Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation

What is type one diabetes?

If you have type 1 diabetes, your pancreas doesn't make insulin or makes very little insulin. Insulin is a hormone that helps blood sugar enter the cells in your body where it can be used for energy. Without insulin, blood sugar can't get into cells and builds up in the bloodstream.

A/N 

I am so sorry for the lack of publishes I had a lot going on these last few months and It will be the same next month as I have two GCSE's coming up! I hope you all are okay and safe! 

Much love,

Oasis.

07.03.22