Part 9

The temperature didn't seem to raise any as the morning faded into midday, and the sun still hid behind the clouds. It took me a few minutes of searching through the gardens before I found Nevi. She sat under a tree on a small bench, a book in her hands.

"Whatcha reading?" I take a seat next to her on the bench.

"Longston."

"Ah," I sigh, "A classic."

"Indeed." She closed the book and looked up, not at me but into the distance, "Do you know anything new?" She asked, "I heard the king called you for breakfast this morning."

"He did, and I do. He told me everything about Carlysel, and it's just a bunch of nothing."

"What did he say?"

"He has soldiers on the border. They say it is too dangerous to enter, and those who have entered have yet to return. They say there is some unknown power in Carlysel- magic, I suppose."

She took in a sharp breath, "Magic?" her voice wavered, almost nervous. "Please tell me he plans to share this magic in all of Elcem and solve world wars with it?"

I scoff, "Not in the slightest."

"Then what does he plan to use it for?" I look at her now- her features written with worry. Her dark skin is now pink from the cold, and it doesn't seem as if her coat and gloves are doing much to protect her from the harsh cold.

"He plans to take over Elcem. He told me taking over Carlysel would only be the start of his massacre. After that, he plans to move through Skola- their forces taking over Valorin would be easy, especially with Dulcamara in an alliance."

"What of Amma?" she asks- the worry returning to her voice.

"I'm sure he will get to it. It's so small I doubt it's much of a worry to him. They are weak compared to the rest."

I hear her mumble angry words under her breath, but I am unable to make them out. Her entire demeanor seemed to have changed the moment I spoke of Amma. But in a split second, as quick as it came, it is now gone. She has returned to normal.

"And if Valorin decides to charge first?"

"They will stage an outright war. My opinion is that-"

She cut me off, "You don't need an opinion on this matter. You have gotten us the information we need. Now I can clear this with Vladimir." She stands from the bench.

"Wait- there is a ball in a week. I think it shall make for a good opportunity to find more information while the king is away from the war room."

"Good idea. I will get back to you once Vladimir has gotten back to me."

I don't ask any more questions. I watch her walk away.

Today is the day of the Fesperian winter ball. It's been less than a week since breakfast with Zackaria and since talking to Nevi. She is here now- helping me with my dress. This is my first time seeing her in a week. It makes me wonder if I said something wrong the last time we spoke.

The dress I'm wearing is extravagant, picked by Zackaria himself. I walk to the mirror and raise the dress to my body. Silver glitter sequins line the bodice and etch small snowflakes into the skirt. The bodice is a light icy blue, and the skirt is snow-white.

My blue eyes pair perfectly with the color scheme of the dress, but my wine-red hair sticks out like a sore thumb.

I turned to Nevi, "What do you think?" I ask, doing a spin and making funny poses.