City of Walls and Secrets

As they were new arrivals in the city, AKA refugees, Iroh, Zuko, and Shun were directed to the Lower Ring, where the craftsmen, artisans, and people who worked with their hands lived.

Zuko and Shun were walking down the street.

"Oh, there's a blacksmith," Shun said, pointing out the smithy. "I'll just go have a quick chat. I'll catch up." She dashed over to talk to the blacksmith.

Iroh caught up to Zuko. He was holding a large vase with several orange flowers placed in it. Zuko furrowed his brow a little and stared coldly at the flowers and his uncle.

"I just want our place to look nice, in case someone brings home a lady friend," Iroh said, giving Zuko and nudge with his elbow. "I'm sure Shun will appreciate them, too. Speaking of which, where is she?"

"She'll catch up. This city is a prison," Zuko said bleakly. "I don't want to make a life here."

"Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not," Iroh said sagely.

Shun came stomping up to walk next to them.

"Oh, Shun. Where did you go?" Iroh asked curiously, wondering why she appeared to be in such a bad mood.

"The blacksmith wouldn't hire me!" she said, frustrated. "He wouldn't believe I'm an experienced metalworker."

"Did you tell him you were from the Aditi tribe?" Iroh asked.

"Yes! He said he'd never heard of us!" Shun huffed, insulted.

"Well, no matter," Iroh said easily. "I found us some new jobs, and we start this afternoon."

"But I really need to use the forge," Shun said, pouting.

"Why?" Zuko asked.

"I want to melt down my gun," Shun replied, surprising them.

"What? Why?" Zuko asked.

"Because it's too dangerous," Shun said with a sigh. "I don't want the Earth Kingdom getting their hands on it either. I don't want to be responsible for the countless deaths that are sure to follow if they start mass producing guns."

"Even if it means your side could win the war?" Zuko asked.

"Yes," Shun said seriously. "Once the Earth Kingdom got them, it would only be a matter of time before they fell into the hands of the Fire Nation, and then they would start using them, too. All that's gonna accomplish is more death. Like I said, I don't want that."

"I think that is a wise decision," Iroh said.

"But what will you do without your weapon?" Zuko asked. "Do you even know how to fight?"

"I know how to fight," Shun said. "All of us were taught how to defend ourselves one way or another. Master Bibek taught me how to fight using two of my forging hammers."

"You have more than one?" Zuko asked.

"I have most of my metalworking tools in here," Shun said, patting her bag.

They didn't realize they were being watched.

Jet narrowed his eyes at their backs.

"Look at them, firebenders living right under everyone's nose," he said.

Longshot and Smellerbee walked up to Jet from an alley.

"Jet, you saw a man with a hot cup of tea. It doesn't prove he's a firebender," Smellerbee said. "And what if he is, are we supposed to attack them? I thought we were starting over here, changing our ways."