Part 22: Prism

"Oh, my new powers ..." My excitement shrinks as soon as he says that, and I look at the ground and scratch my neck.
Loki sighs and walks over to me, putting a hand on my shoulder before hesitating and taking my hand. "I know it's hard for you, especially when you encountered rage as so violent. But that shows how important it is to learn to control these powers. See, even I have powers I don't like."
I look up and see that half of his face is in his Jotun form.
"But at least yours are beautiful", I say in a breathy voice.
Loki smiles sadly and returns to his normal form. "I would say the same about yours."
"But ...", I reply, "didn't you see what they did to the alien? His body was ... splattered over the ground, his interal organs a red mush, I ..."
"Shh, you have the wrong perspective", Loki says quietly. "You are confusing your powers core with what they do. Rage destroys. It always did. But behind all these emotions that are raw and have to be felt, is a beautiful human being that exists and lives. You are like a prism that shows the colours of the light." He pauses so that his words can sink in.
I listen with big eyes.
"And now we have to control your powers so that you can choose to use them", he continues. "Rage has its place, but it shouldn't run wild. And I am very curious about the other emotions. Aren't you too?"
I look down at my hand in his and then into his eyes again. "I think we can give it a try", I answer with a small smile.
He smiles back. "Then we shall continue."
I feel a little stab in my chest as Loki pulls his hand back and walks into the middle of Gym 2 again.
"So we need to choose with which one we begin", he says. "Which emotions come to your mind?"
I think. "We already have happiness and rage. Oh, I know one! Sadness." I frown. "But I don't want to be sad right now. Can we get back to that later?"
Loki agrees. "We can let it be for now."
I think more and the movie 'Inside out' comes to my mind. "... maybe disgust?"
Loki inclines his head. "You know what, maybe that could work. We can try it. But ... I want to test another one right now. Conjure your sparks."
"Which one?", I ask sceptically as I form a magic ball between my hands.
"If I tell you it's not going to work", Loki answers mischievously.
I eye him suspiciously, and he seems to flicker for a moment.
"What are you - aaah!"
"Boo!", calls another Loki that sneaked up behind me and gave me a scare by grabbing my shoulders quickly.
The magic ball between my hands turns purple for a short moment and explodes with a loud noise that frightens me again.
"You scared me!", I call, turning around to Loki whos illusion from in front of me disappeared.
"That was the point, dear!", he laughs. "And it worked!"
"Well, yes", I grumble and laugh against my will.
He giggles and goes back to in front of me. "There's nothing like a good old scare."
I roll my eyes.
"I have seen that."
"You were supposed to."
He raises his eyebrows with a smirk. "Wow, you really are the type of person that becomes sulky after a prank."
I cross my arms and raise my chin a little. "Maybe I am."
Loki snickers. "Okay. But we both know it worked. We should try to recreate that purple magic."
I conjure my sparks, but they are yellow again.
"Try to think of the feeling you had when I scared you", Loki says, his eyes on my magic.
I concentrate and try to live through that bit of fear again. My sparks wobble around a bit and slowly become purple. The sparks start to pop with a noise like bubble wrap, just much louder.
"Hey, it works!", Loki calls excitedly over the sounds.
I nod and smile, and promptly the sparks turn yellow again.
He chuckles and I let them vanish. "That was a good one! Now for the disgust. I have to get something, excuse me for a moment."
He leaves the room and I wait, then he comes back and has a potato from yesterdays dinner in his hands. "Eat that."
For the second time in this training session, I am suspicious. But I obey and eat the potato.
I grimace.
"I oversalted it a lot", Loki says proudly.
"Ew", I say and screw up my face once again.
"Think about the magic, darling!", Loki responds and snaps with his fingers.
Still with the disgusting potato in my mouth, I conjure my magic. It doesn't take long for the sparks to turn green. They shoot out of my hands like little arrows and Loki nonchalantly shields himself with his magic. I let them vanish.
"Another success", he says proudly.
"Yes", I smile.
"What did you do with the potato, though?", he asks.
"I swallowed it. But it took me a lot to do that."
"That's what she said."
"Gods, you are so annyoing."
Loki grins. "Don't even try to criticize me. I know you love it."
The door opens and spares me from answering. Natasha pops her head in.
"Tony has figured out the alien USB-Stick. We should go to the control room quickly."