Chapter Thirty-Five

Billie
I quickly walked back to my house not wanting to leave Elle alone for too long. I would drive to her house but my car is really loud so I just started coming in through the window.

As soon as I got home I went to my room and hastily packed an overnight bag, I put a couple days worth of clothes and all my toiletries.

"Billie? Are you going somewhere?" My mom popped her head into my room to ask.

"Uhh yeah I'm saying at Elle's for a couple days. Something happened with her mom so she wants me there. Is that okay?"

"Sure. Just be sure to text or call me so I know you're safe okay?"

"Yes! I promise I will."
She smiled and left my room as a I got a call from Elle.

"Hey mama. Is everything alright?"

It was quiet for a moment before she spoke up, but I could tell she was crying or had just been crying when she spoke.

"I love you."

"What?" I ask softly.

"I love you Billie. I love you." She says again, and this time I can tell she's holding back tears.

I lightly chuckled but I know something is up.

"Well I love you too, Elle. What's wrong baby?"

"Nothing. Um...I just...I needed you to know that. I know that I love you and I love you because for the first time in god knows how long you made me feel like I was worth something. That I was more than my issues."

I stop packing because I know something is wrong.
"Okay, Ellie you're worrying me. What's going on love? Are you alright? What happened?"

I didn't get an answer. I wait a couple moments and then I hear water rushing. That's when the realization hits me.

"Elle...talk to me, please. What's the matter?"

"I just had to let you know that it's not your fault. And please don't blame yourself because you're the best thing that's ever happened to me. And I can't be more appreciative for you. And...I'm sorry."

"Eleanor? What are you doing? Eleanor!"

The line goes dead and then the panic sets it.

"Shit. No, no. No, no, no." I grab my keys and quickly rush out the door hopping into my car and speeding off to me and Elle's spot.

As soon as I heard the water I knew that's where she was. I tried to call Elle again multiple times on the drive there and they all went right to voicemail which only fueled my anxiety.

I finally pull up to our spot and run up the mountain trail that leads to the waterfall. When I saw her on the railing my heart dropped to my feet.

"Oh my god. Elle! Elle stop, get down!"
I run up to her but stop a couple feet away, not wanting to trigger her in anyway especially right now.

"Eleanor...please come down from there!" I shout over the water

"I'm sorry, Billie! I didn't want you to see this." She says crying.

"It's alright, It's okay baby just-just come down from there, please."

She shakes her head.
"She doesn't love me Billie, I have nothing left. There's nothing here for me anymore."

I didn't exactly know what she was talking about but I knew it was about her mom. Something must have happened when I left.

"That's not true. You have me, look I-I-I'm right here for you baby, just please come down." I speak as soft as possible, trying not to cry myself.