Chapter Two

"Do you recall a mention of an escapee?" Dristan asked Joshua and Amelia as they arrived in front of the door to a small, ivy-covered brick building.

"I believe so..." Joshua said, eyes darting up at the house set back behind the tree-lined drive; he hadn't been even this close to a house like this since... probably since he'd stayed with Amelia's parents.

She'd probably be feeling completely relaxed here; this was the world she'd lived in, before she'd come to his. Well - not completely. Who knew if they were being watched from behind those curtained bay windows...

"Well, I can tell you now that the escapee waits behind these doors for my return." Dristan revealed.

"You helped them escape?" Amelia asks.

"There was a certain...something about her that brought forth my curiosity and concern. They way she took her brother's place when he was to be hanged was quite unusual indeed. This town lacks a sense of dignity and fails to recognize the need for selfless action, therefore it was quite natural that I was intrigued. Over time I learnt of her more: her quiet and accepting nature, her care for those who had wronged her. I couldn't bare to watch as they tortured her, and soon I found I simply had to do something about her situation. About this town's situation."

Joshua's shoulders relaxed, but Amelia pressed a hand to her mouth. "Is she alright with us being here? I wouldn't want us to trouble her if she..."

"I appreciate your concern, and I am sure she does too. However, I can assure you you are fine to be here. In fact, Amity hasn't been able to see civilization in a few weeks. I am sure she would be delighted to have visitors who don't intend to slaughter her." Dristan said gently.

"Of... course." Amelia brushed a couple of stray curls from her forehead and squared her shoulders. "Yes, the poor dear would deserve some company!"

A very faint smile quirked the corner of Joshua's lips. She always took things in her stride.

Dristan smiled and nodded once before opening the door. Inside their was no light, merely a dying fire by the south end of the building. A girl of youthful age sat quietly in front of it, dressing her wounds and humming to herself.

Amelia slipped in softly, Josh following close behind her. "Hello?"

The girl turned and an expression of fear quickly crossed her face before she realized her visitors were friendly. "Hello," she smiled welcomingly. "Come, draw near to the fire, you look a little wet."

Joshua stood back and let Amelia do the talking, knowing she'd be better than him at this. He also knew he might not be the least intimidating person.

"How are you? You look to be bearing up incredibly well." Amelia moved to stand by the fire. "I'm Amelia Westwood, by the way."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Amelia. I'm Amity." The girl put her damp cloth down. "It's all quite strange... as if it were a dream and I should soon wake up in my small room in the bell tower. I feel quite dazed."

"I can't at all believe that such a thing is allowed to go on in this country," Amelia gently rested her hand on Amity's arm. "If I can help you at all, I'd be most obliged."

The two men quietly watched the ladies converse by the fire as they stood side by side. Dristan turned to Joshua and tried to break the silence. "How did you come upon this town?" he asked.

Joshua shrugged slightly. "I didn't ask for directions."

Dristan dipped his head once and continued watching Amelia and Amity. Suddenly a sickly scream rang out from the town square and travelled throughout the town, echoing past the trees until everything became eerily quiet.