Icarus Falls

A/N:  Thank you, from the bottom of our hearts, for being here, and for reading this.

This chapter had to really fight to exist. I had every intention of writing and releasing it months ago, but when school started up it was like someone turned the lights off in my brain. It was a struggle some days to just come home and feed myself let alone write and it took ages to crawl out of that dark place and start being a person again. Even through all that this fic was begging to be finished.

If you waited through that, thank you. Those who reached out and kept their faith in us, thank you. And for anyone at all reading this, even if it's years later, thank you.

There are three more left! If we're lucky the next ones will be out on the 12th and the 26th. I can make no promises, except that they will be done sooner than later, come hell or high water!

One important note about this chapter. My vision of the final scene was inspired by Jigg's (JJGGrt on youtube) (jjgg_art on instagram) beautiful animatic. (https://youtu.be/IShNSnBK18o). It's amazing and influenced my idea of how reveal would go over a year ago when this chapter was just a far-off destination.

I truly hope you all have a wonderful day and an amazing rest of your year!

The sun hung low in the sky, casting a warm glow on the newly sown fields of Old Corona. Varian's father, Quirin, surveyed them before his eyes wandered up to the horizon, looking for something that wasn't there.

He sighed heavily as his gaze lingered on the distance.

"Dad!"

Quirin's eyes widened at the familiar voice. He turned and saw Varian running down the path towards him.

"Varian?" He muttered in disbelief.

"Dad! Dad, I'm home!" yelled Varian happily, jumping and waving as he got closer. Quirin didn't even notice Prometheus, Ruddiger, and the other strangers following behind. His whole attention was on his son.

"Varian!" Quirin ran to meet him, smiling as he caught Varian in his arms. "Varian! You're safe!" He pulled back reluctantly to look down at Varian, who smiled back.

"You won't believe the things I've seen, Dad," said Varian. "All the things we've done. I've learned so much!"

"Does this mean you've finished it?" asked Quirin with tentative hope in his voice. "Did you see... did you find where... where your...?"

"Not yet," said Varian, putting a hand on his arm. "But we're almost there. The last trial is somewhere here in Corona. We have to find it as soon as possible. But I thought since we had to come through Old Corona anyway, we could spend the night here with you."

"We?" asked Quirin, finally seeming to realize that there were more teenagers there with Varian. Quirin looked up to see them standing a few yards back, giving the two of them a respectful distance for their reunion.

"Oh, heh, yeah. Dad, I'd like you to meet some of the brightest minds in the seven kingdoms," said Varian, stepping closer to his friends as he introduced them. "This is Yong from Bayangor, Princess Nuru from Koto, and this is Hugo from Ingvarr."

The three of them waved, Yong enthusiastically, Nuru politely, and Hugo awkwardly.

"They're friends. And they've been a big help to me ever since I left," continued Varian.

Quirin smiled. "Well then, thank you for helping my son. You're welcome in our home for the night and welcome to join us for dinner." He looked at Varian. "Maybe you and your friends could get that started while I make sleeping arrangements."